Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Tuesday, August 23, 2005


The Public Square

I took my time getting to work today and took a nice bike ride along the new path that has been constructed adjacent to the busway that will transverse the San Fernando Valley. Coming back, I coasted through the Civic Center at the Van Nuys Courthouse. I am always fascinated by the mass of humanity hustling in to do business before the courts.
There is a nut who is a regular there. In the past, he has had a sign that combines religious philosopy and politics in a manner suggestive of someone who is "off his meds". That sign has evolved into a gauntlet of about 30 posters, most of which are constructed in a cut and paste ransom note motif. The common themes can be summed up as follows: "Bush is a fascist and free our Palestinian brothers". Hmm. . I was understanding of his right to free speech and decided to exercise mine. As I coasted by, I looked him in the eye, gave a raised fist, and said "Long Live Israel". To which he provided a Steve Martinesque reply, "I don't think soooooooo."

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

Good on ya, Stewdog -- that's a story that makes me proud to be an American.

August 23, 2005 10:51 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Unfortunately, we have abdicated the public square to the homeless and the deranged. I would venture to guess that few will call this fool on his 'messages'.

August 23, 2005 11:29 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

That's not the public square -- that's their HOME, you heartless Rethuglican. And those people aren't "deranged;" they're the only sane ones, man ... the only sane ones in a society gone mad.

August 23, 2005 12:28 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

I'm sorry. I guess I need to pray to Our Lady Of Crawford for guidance (or is it St. Cindy. . or Mother Sheehan? I'm so confused).
Insanity as a sane response to an insane world. That is just soooooooooooo 60's. Put down the bong, and stop staring at your hands, KM.

August 23, 2005 12:37 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Picture me picking up that huge tub thingy and crashing it through the window so that I can break free of the "insane" asylum and live the life that my courageous but now-cruelly-lobotomized friend encouraged me to live. To the accompaniment of some vaguely Native American music. While the rest of the inmates cheer my escape to freedom.

August 23, 2005 1:24 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Ah come on. . Your marriage can't be that bad!!!

August 23, 2005 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home