Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Sunday, December 04, 2005


Changes In Attitude

Two events have occured in the last month that have had a profound effect on my life. The first is the opening of the Orange Line Busway in the San Fernando Valley and the second is the purchase of a new more comfortable bicycle. The two intertwine to give me a new outlook by getting me out from behind the wheel and out of gridlock.
As an attorney, I often need my car to get around to meetings, depositions, client lunches, arbitrations, and trials. But on those days that I don't need to drive, I can walk about 1/4 mile down to the corner and get on the Orange Line. Three stops later, I am at the beginning of the Red Line Subway in NOHO, and can ride that downtown, 2 blocks from my office. It is a bit longer than driving, about an hour door to door, but I am getting a bit of exercise with the walking and I bring the paper along. The downside is that it can be mildly nauseous for those of us prone to motion sickness and you have to experience the grotesque populace up close and personal, but it is so nice not to be stuck in bumper to bumper 5 days a week.
The Orange Line also features a bicycle path along most of the way. I have taken advantage of it. I enjoy the ride without realizing I am getting the exercise. And yesterday I biked to the mall and just laughed at the cars fighting for parking space.
On Friday, I took the Red Line back from work and the Stewspouse took it in and we met in Hollywood, went out to dinner and went to a college alumni function. I question whether I would have done this if it meant driving and parking.
The culture of the car IS LA. It is a delight to be able to take a step back from it. I feel like a kid in college again. Just like my Boston days, I'm riding my bike around and taking public transport.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

You go, Stewdog!

I actually miss the culture of public transportation, too. When I lived in Massachusetts, I walked and took the T everywhere. It felt good. Well, except when it was 5 degrees outside.

December 04, 2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Yep the good old T. I remember that Red Line into Haaaaavaaaad Square. In Boston everyone takes it. It is still very much a class issue in LA. It is not common to see a man with a tie on the Subway, but I think time, traffic, and the cost of transportation will change all of that. I find the opportunity to be quite liberating.

December 04, 2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Very cool. One of the great pleasures of a mass-transit commute is the ability to sleep, read, study, or simply do nothing while someone else does the driving. In a densely populated area, a car commute is a terrible way to start the day.

December 04, 2005 1:48 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Once upon a time I switched jobs and had to take the Metro (subway) instead of walk to work. (For a short while I actually lived in the D of C -- during the Mayor for Life regime.)

I was sick the first 2 months I worked there, with back to back colds that included weeks of coughing. The joy of getting up close and personal with your fellow citizens. Eventually my immune system must have adjusted. Oh, wait. We moved and I got a car. Nevermind.

December 06, 2005 1:14 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

That is a downside, CIV, for sure, but I have received my flu shot and move away from the coughers.

December 06, 2005 1:24 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Just like my Boston days...
When I lived in Massachusetts..

Holy smokes. Have I been duped? A bunch of East Coast Ivy Leaguers -- Harvard students -- pretending this is a California, left coast, surfer dudes and celebs website. Ack! And here I'd been picturing all of you as the beautiful people of the beach blanket baby movies (except Jeff, who's sliding around on icy DC streets right about now). Hah!

December 06, 2005 7:38 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Calm Down, CIV. Stewdog is Midwestern born and bred and went to a tiny school in Back Bay Boston for his last three years, before returning to Missouri for Law school. Been out here 21 years now.
As for KM, she's a Cali girl, but just took a little tour in the Cambridge Commons. A little bit of Mass is good for your when you are young.

December 06, 2005 9:34 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Fear not, CIV. We're all left coasters here. Like totally, dude.

Yes, Stewdog and Sadeeq are native Midwesterners who spent some time in the Northeast for school. But while Sadeeq (my husband) is still a Midwesterner at heart, Stewdog lost his soul to Los Angeles a long time ago.

And yes, I spent about three years in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Draw your own conclusions. I think of it as part dream, part nightmare. Heck, I did meet my husband and some of my dearest friends there . . .

As for the beautiful people beach blanket bingo thing, I'm not entirely objective, but I think my sisters, my sister-in-law, my brothers -- heck, I'll even throw in Stewdog -- fit the bill.

December 06, 2005 9:44 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I have a confession to make to you good people: I don't live in Washington, D.C. Nope. I live on an experimental non-dairy farm in Burlington, Vermont, where I proofread the social-justice messages on cartons of organic soymilk. In exchange, they give me room, board, a Che beret--and, of course, inner peace. (Plus 10% off at the crystal shop next door, which totally rules.)

I'm glad that's finally out in the open.

December 06, 2005 11:44 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Jeff, whoever you are, whereever you are, you'll always be the Saint Francis of the Blogosphere to me.

December 07, 2005 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home