Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Tuesday, February 19, 2008


No Country for Old Men

Me and Loretta…got set next to this woman, she was the wife of somebody or other. And she kept talkin about the right wing this and the right wing that. I ain’t even sure what she meant by it. The people I know are mostly just common people. Common as dirt, as the sayin goes. I told her that and she looked at me funny. She thought I was sayin somethin bad about em, but of course that’s a high compliment in my part of the world. She kept on, kept on. Finally told me, said: I don’t like the way this country is headed. I want my granddaughter to be able to have an abortion. And I said well ma'am I don’t think you got any worries about the way the country is headed. The way I see it goin I dont have much doubt but what she’ll be able to have an abortion. I’m goin to say that not only will she be able to have an abortion, she’ll be able to have you put to sleep. Which pretty much ended the conversation.

-- Sheriff Ed Tom Bell, occasional narrator of Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men

4 Comments:

Blogger T Patrick Dunigan said...

My Best Movie of the Year award winner KM....without a doubt..

February 19, 2008 4:12 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

You think so, Temp? I'd like to see the Coen's win an Oscar for best picture, and it'd be the best Best Picture winner in quite a while -- even though I still like Miller's Crossing and Fargo better than No Country.

The Coens may be poised for a mini-sweep -- picture, director, screenplay, editing, etc. We'll see.

February 19, 2008 4:30 PM  
Blogger T Patrick Dunigan said...

yeah...I do think it's the best movie of the year... now I haven't seen THERE WILL BE BLOOD...but as I've heard from friends who have,and who's opinions I trust..Daniel Day Lewis will get Best Actor..but the movie itself was not quite as good. And the more I think about it?...the more I think NO COUNTRY might just be their BEST film...not the most popular by a long shot...but as to the use of the medium to tell a story in an entertaining and unique way?....perhaps the best. But?..what do I know..I'm a Hugh Grant fan too. LOL!

February 20, 2008 11:55 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

No shame in being a Hugh Grant fan, Temp. I just posted one of my favorite Hugh Grant scenes above.

February 20, 2008 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home