Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Thursday, April 03, 2008


Random YouTubing

The fourth tenor?

YouTube is not the best way to listen to Frank Tichelli's beautiful choral piece, There Will Be Rest, but this choir does a decent job of it. The Kansas City Chorale recorded a gorgeous version of There Will Be Rest on this CD.

I don't think I've mentioned how much I enjoyed seeing Enchanted with my children. Fairy tales are relentlessly parodied in our irony-besotted age, and this movie knows it, but it functions as a kind of "in your face" to the jaded ironists, thanks in large part to Amy Adams's performance. It seems to me that it's very hard to pull off the kind of performance she gives here, because it requires the actor to play everything absolutely straight and to be likable and believable to boot. Here is Adams being likable, and here is Patrick Dempsey becoming the fairy tale prince. One of my favorite moments in Enchanted is when Patrick Dempsey's girlfriend shows up to take his six-year-old daughter out for some "grown-up girl bonding time" and greets the child by drawling, "Hi, girlfriend, are you ready to kick it?" The perplexed child scrunches up her face and says, "Kick what?"

Why the random YouTubing, you ask? Because I just went gay all of a sudden!

ADDED: Ingmar Bergman meets Monster Chiller Horror Theater

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy Adams is an odd one, isn't she? As hammy as she is, she plays those wide-eyed innocent types pretty well, and she makes it look easy. She seems to be carving out a nice, contrary niche for herself in an industry where the snarky "Juno" types are a dime a dozen.

April 03, 2008 4:38 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Exactly, Jeff.

The snarky Juno types have their place, I suppose, but, man, am I getting tired of them!

I *love* Amy Adams in Enchanted.

April 03, 2008 7:46 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Now I got it. Amy Adams. . I saw her on the Oscars and couldn't place her. She was the girl in Catch Me If You Can. I loved her in that movie, which is one of my favorites!

April 04, 2008 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home