Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Saturday, September 06, 2008


Hard to see the dark side is

The girls got to choose a movie last night, and -- despite our attempts to dissuade them -- they settled on Star Wars, Episdode I: The Phantom Menace.

Every time I have to watch that abomination, my esteem for the Jedi diminishes.

Random thoughts:

1. Midichlorians. What the . . . ? So the Jedi are some sort of master race?

2. Yes, Jar Jar Binks is universally and deservedly reviled. But my theory is that he's a diversion. By focusing on their hatred of Jar Jar Binks, the audience fails to see how spectacularly ineffectual the Jedi are as protectors of the galaxy.

3. Up shut, Yoda. Every time I hear him say, "Hard to see the dark side is . . ." it reminds me how stupid the Jedi are in these three prequels. It takes the Jedi the length of three tedious and terribly acted movies to realize who the bad guy is -- a realization that should have been obvious to any Jedi with a halfway decent midichlorian count from the first scenes of The Phantom Menace.

4. Yes, the little boy is a terrible actor, and what's his name, the guy who plays the "adult" Annakin, is also famously awful, but have you ever noticed how horrendous Natalie Portman is in these movies? For one thing, her lips barely move when she speaks. It's like she's practicing for some Edgar Bergen biopic. I also think Padma the Insufferably Self-Righteous and Annakin the Insufferably Petulant deserve each other.

5. I don't get it. How, exactly, does Annikan "bring balance to the Force?"

2 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

The first 3 movies from the 70's/80's were brilliant. I haven't watched but a few clips from the newer ones and have no interest in them.

September 06, 2008 4:08 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

I guess Jar Jar as a diversion to the hideousness of the film itself makes him kind of the Joe Biden of that film.

I guess Annikan bringing balance to the force makes him kind of the Fox News of that film.

September 07, 2008 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home