Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, January 23, 2009


There's something sinister about President Obama . . .

. . . I noticed it when I watched him signing things on television this morning.

That's right . . . he's left-handed. My father and youngest brother will be interested to know they have something in common with our new president.

I also noticed recently that Obama admires Marilynne Robinson's novel, Gilead, that he watched The Wire, and that Omar is his favorite character.

I disagree with almost everything Obama has stood for in his paper-thin legislative career, and I expect to continue to disagree with President Obama, but I just don't have the heart for the kind of demonization that became almost mainstream among left-leaning pundits and political observers whose disagreements with President Bush shaded off into spittle-flecked hatred and vitriol.

I do consider Obama's position on particular issues -- on abortion, for instance -- to be immoral and unjust, and the fact that President Obama and I may have similar tastes in literature and entertainment won't change that. Obama's position on abortion amounts to support for one of the great evils of our time. But Obama himself? He's very wrong about a lot of things. But he's a man. He's just a man. I don't know how to hate him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home