Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Thursday, March 10, 2005


I must respectfully return my ticket . . . sort of

This isn't exactly Ivan Karamazov's rebellion, but I've been watching a lot of Star Wars lately (my husband thought it would be fun to indoctrinate the girls, and it seems to be working), and I've become more and more bothered by the notion of Darth Vader's redemption -- especially given his participation in the destruction of the planet Alderon. So he has some last-minute qualms about murdering his son and he decides to destroy the Emperor -- so what? It's really just the offshoot of a personal, if benign, desire, isn't it? In any event, why should the final two minutes of his life purchase his redemption? I realize I'm probably not treading very firm theological ground here, since presumably one can't really purchase one's own redemption, and since . . . well, it's only a movie.

Ultimately, I love Star Wars (the original trilogy) as much as I ever did. Because it's a fictional universe, Darth Vader's redemption is acceptable, even touching. Here in our own universe, however, if you told me the Jews will be embracing Hitler in heaven, . . . I won't say I return my admission ticket, but I'm certainly happy to be hemmed in by so many Alyoshas, embracing me in my moments of greatest doubt and incipient rebellion.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wonderdog said...

Darth Vader is the penitent thief at Golgotha. Hitler is the other guy.

March 11, 2005 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. grear reading a blog on nickelback concert ticket I like this blog here too nickelback concert ticket

October 18, 2005 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home