Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, August 03, 2005


"Cue the sun"

First things first. I don't like Ed Harris. However, I don't think he's that bad of an actor. I particularly liked his portrayal of John Glenn in "The Right Stuff". That said, I managed to catch about a half hour of "The Truman Show" tonight and his portrayal of that guy who wears the beret and directs the show from some celestial orb has to rank as one of the most pretentious bits of acting in movie history. What's scary is I think he may have been nominated for an Oscar for this performance.

I hadn't seen this movie since it was out in theaters and I'd forgotten what an unintentially comedic performance that was. It's the kind of character that's so ripe for someone to exasperatingly say to him, "Oh, cut the crap", to which all within ear-shot of that comment would immediately laugh uncontrollably in an emporer's new clothes kind of realization.

3 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

Truman Show was overrated. Worth watching, but very forgettable.
However, I DO like Ed Harris and liked him in The Right Stuff (one of my all time favorite movies), Enemy at the Gates, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, The Rock, and The Firm.
A lot of great actors got their start in Right Stuff, including Dennis Quaid, and Scott Glen, who was great in R.S. And whom I loved as the Captain of the U.S.S. Dallas in Hunt for Red October.

August 03, 2005 2:09 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

I beg to differ on Dennis Quaid. I believe he got his first start in "Breaking Away" -- a great performance and a great movie.

Yeah, "The Right Stuff" is an outstanding film. How it didn't win the Oscar is beyond me.

August 03, 2005 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason The Right Stuff didn't win "the" Oscar in 1983 is probably because it was up against Terms Of Endearment. A sappy, but great, American movie. TRS did however win four Oscars.

At least Jack Nicholson, in Terms of Endearment, played an astronaut.

August 04, 2005 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home