Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Tuesday, August 02, 2005


"We want da funk...gotta have dat funk"

I was a teen in the 80's. I danced to songs like "I Just Can't Get Enough" from Depeche Mode and "Come On Eileen" from Dexy's Midnight Runners. And, as far as school dances and dancing in general goes, those songs were fun and I had a great time. But...sometimes I wish the 70's had been my decade just so I could have gotten down to some funk.

Yes I'm a white man. But I like to think I have a little funkadelic in me (unlike Stewdog who could perhaps be the whitest man I know). And so it was that this morning, driving in to work on the Santa Monica freeway amid stop and go traffic, I flipped the radio dial and heard those sounds emanating -- and my funkadelic id emerged.

"She's a briiiiiick...(da na na na)...HOOOOOWSE!"

Yes, I did the white man's overbite (exposed my teeth and bit my lower lip). Yes, I grooved up and down and from side to side. Yes, I'm sure there were a few snickers from my fellow freeway travelers. But did any of them have a funky drive to work this morning? Their loss.

7 Comments:

Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

It's just lack of sleep. Once the wonder puppy is sleeping through the night, you'll no longer have these hallucinations about being funky. Meanwhile, pull over and take a nap.

August 02, 2005 10:09 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Play that funky music white boy.

Yeah. . I'm hopeless.. . living proof that "White Ain't Right".

August 02, 2005 10:10 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

WD, we're still waiting for a Wonderpuppy photo...

August 02, 2005 10:13 AM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

You know, CIV, I think sleep deprivation may have played a part in that funky episode. I'm also going to attribute it to the fact that I have Prince's "Raspberry Beret" song in my head at the moment. As McCartney said in "Penny Lane" -- "very strange."

As for photos of the Wonderpup, Scotty and I are reluctant to expose our little one to prying eyes of the internet. Therefore, I'll describe him. He's got a little light brown head of hair, a little round head, little eyes, little nose, little mouth, little hands and feet and he's so cute you want to eat his toes.

August 02, 2005 11:18 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

WD, you're a good daddy to keep your kids safe from prying eyes. It's just that (1) babies are not wandering around town by themselves, (2) change so quickly, and (3) aren't as unique as parents think, that I think posting a few-days-old child's photo would be pretty safe. But, on the other hand, I suppose someone could run Wonderpuppy's photo through one of those age progression programs and find out what he'll look like in 10 years and then, well, who KNOWS what might happen. In fact, perhaps WP's photo might be aged, say, 40 years and we'd all know what WD looks like right now!

August 02, 2005 7:41 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

"40 years"?...Woa now there CIV. Let's not get crazy. Suffice it to say I've never had a prostate exam.

As for my looks, I suppose they do tolerable. They enabled me to snag the fetching Scotty at any rate. Perhaps she just felt sorry for me.

August 02, 2005 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came of age in the late 60's and 70's, and funk actually is timeless. It touches something tribal deep inside us, remnants of our far away ancestral pasts. I often wonder about black people with no rhythm, and what tribe they come from. Being what my Jamaican friend calls "a black girl with white skin", raised in the south on R&B and soul, I definitely "got da funk".

March 28, 2009 6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home