Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, August 24, 2005


Movies

I noticed that Kate Marie's post about films got a lot of responses. It seems to be the most popular subject among the throngs of loyal readers of this blog.
I read the Lileks link on one of Kate's entries, that took me to the film Silent Running. That in turn inspired me to a new film topic. Are there any films that you saw as a younger person that you really, REALLY, loved, only to see again at a later date when you were off the 'Buckin' Bronco' and exclaim "What the HELL was I thinking?"
I will confess that I actually loved the following films that now cause me to squirm:

Silent Running
Billy Jack
Early Stephen Segal fims.
Easy Rider

Anybody else? Come on. . confess and the truth will set you free.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

"Dead Poets Society" springs to mind. There are movies that I LOVED that I don't really hate now, but that make me regret my earlier unquestioning enthusiasm --"Harold and Maude" fits that category, and, strangely "Long Day's Journey Into Night." And then there are movies like "Il Postino," that I still think are beautiful and poignant -- sort of. When I first saw Il Postino I had no idea how much an apologist for mass murder Pablo Neruda actually was; in any event, and maybe I'm rationalizing, but I think it's possible to view the movie as ambiguous about the eulogizer of Stalin and his relationship with the humble postman.

Then there I movies that I loved, then considered a bore, then loved again -- like "Chariots of Fire."

And then there's "To Kill a Mockingbird." HATE that one. ;)

August 24, 2005 1:31 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

OK, you don't mean that you Hate to Kill A Mockingbird. I assume that was tongue in cheek.
The actor who played the accused just died.

August 24, 2005 1:56 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Oh, please don't turn this into a left coast movie blog. I feel so out of it. I've actually seen a few of the older movies mentioned, but doubt I'll get to see them a 2nd time, as I haven't been in a theater since, oh, maybe 1991.

Does it count that I saw Planet of the Apes and loved it, but was less moved when I attended a Planet of the Apes I, II, and III showing a few years later?

The "festival" was partially ruined by the projection person who showed II and III out of order, but more so by the poor quality of the later 2 films. How many of those clunkers did they finally make? Yeesh.

August 24, 2005 1:57 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Yes. That counts. And I will Add Planet of the Apes to my list.
We aren't in danger of becoming a movie blog, but we do love (some) movies.

August 24, 2005 3:07 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Fear not, C.I.V. -- we will not become a movie blog. But I will urge you to go out and try a movie again -- they have made *some* good ones since '91 (if few and far between). I actually have respect for film as an art form, though it certainly doesn't always live up to the possibilities.

August 24, 2005 4:56 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

"Porky's".

Somehow It doesn't have the cinematic magic that I thought it possessed as a younger lad.

August 25, 2005 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home