Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, August 05, 2005


Political Correctness

I see that the NCAAHoles have spoken on Indian (er. . excuse me.. . Native American) Mascots. Seems you can still name your team certain things, but if you are in postseason, certain names have to be covered up. 'Seminoles' is "hostile and abusive" but 'Warriors' is not.
The NCAA plans to ban schools using Indian nicknames from hosting postseason events.
They also encourage schools not to schedule games with the offending institutions.
I'm so glad that they are focused like lazer beams on such important issues of the day.

UPDATE: True to form the LA Times Bill Plaschke wrote a front page Sunday Sports editorial about what a wonderful decision it was. As an added bonus, when I went on the LA Times website to find this article, they had 3 obnoxious pop up ads, including one for the ACLU featuring naked people.

3 Comments:

Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Rumpus, I think the post by "lila" is comment spam. I've seen a similar anonymous banal comment that ends with a different name and a link to this same site. A cheesy way to advertise.

August 06, 2005 10:45 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Impossible.
She likes me. . .she REALLY likes me.

August 06, 2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

I guess I've never understood this at all. I could see Native Americans having a point if these schools were naming their restrooms after them but the team mascot? That's something the school takes pride in and the alumni cheers for by the thousands.

I'm part Irish and I've never once been insulted by Notre Dame or it's little Leprechaun.

August 07, 2005 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home