Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, September 28, 2005


Quote of the Day II

I am perhaps the one man in all creation who loves the truth and genuinely desires good. I was there when the Word, Who died on the Cross, rose up into heaven bearing on His bosom the soul of the penitent thief. I heard the glad shrieks of the cherubim singing and shouting hosannah and the thunderous rapture of the seraphim which shook heaven and all creation, and I swear to you by all that's sacred, I longed to join the choir and shout hosannah with them all. The word had almost escaped me, had almost broken from my lips... you know how susceptible and aesthetically impressionable I am. But common sense -- oh, a most unhappy trait in my character -- kept me in due bounds and I let the moment pass! For what would have happened, I reflected, what would have happened after my hosannah? Everything on earth would have been extinguished at once and no events could have occurred. And so, solely from a sense of duty and my social position, was forced to suppress the good moment and to stick to my nasty task.

-- Satan (or the Satan in Ivan's mind) in Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamozov

1 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

An intersting passage from Old Scratch. I picked up Crime and Punishment and have started to read that. So many books I missed and so little time.

September 28, 2005 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home