Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Monday, November 14, 2005


Insular Communities

Recent discussions on this site reminded me of a community that I once visited in the early 80's.
Stelle was founded on some pretty bizarre teachings, but attracted intelligent people looking for a better way to live, including my sister in law's half sister. When we drove there from Chicago, suddenly, in the middle of nowhere in Ford County, IL, appeared a suburb. The thing that I remember most, is that you couldn't smoke cigarettes in the community (fascist, yet ahead of their time) and I had to sneak one in the laundry room (Stewdog has been tobacco free for 24 years).

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

I'll go you one better than that Stewdog. A girl who was a roommate of mine for a whole year in college (the SC days) was the daughter of a bona fide cult leader whose group actually horded weapons and went underground in Montana in anticipation of the end of the world (which had been prophesied for a specific date by the mother). I actually met the mother, who stared at me pretty intently, though at the time I had no idea who she was. I never actually visited the Montana encampment, though.

November 14, 2005 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home