Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Thursday, November 03, 2005


Of all sad words of tongue or pen ...

Scott Nokes at Unlocked Wordhoard considers the reasons it took so long for Tolkien to be taken seriously by the academy. Nokes argues that, while snobbery about "genre fiction" probably had something to do with it, the reluctance of medieval scholars to venture outside of the traditional parameters of the discipline was perhaps an even stronger reason for the scholarly neglect of Tolkien. As Nokes points out, Tolkien's work is deeply philological and relies on a profound understanding of medieval language and culture. Nokes observes that most modernists simply don't have that kind of background and knowledge. What he's too polite to say -- but I'm not -- is that the anti-Tolkien snobbery of many modernists is thus built upon smug ignorance.

I find the resuscitation of Tolkien as a subject of serious study a positive development, obviously. It always leaves me with a twinge of regret, though, since the prospect of changing my emphasis to medieval literature and studying Tolkien is perhaps the only thing that could have kept me in graduate school.

5 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

Yawn. . .ok KM. . do I need to start blogging on the merits of Brett Easton Ellis. . . Catcher in the Rye. . . Follow your Heart. . . ????
Don't make me dig out Bored of the Rings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 03, 2005 9:23 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

You wanna bring it, Stewdog?

Stewdog and Holden
Sittin' in a tree
w-h-i-n-i-n-g . . .

November 03, 2005 11:52 PM  
Blogger Dr. Richard Scott Nokes said...

This is the first time I've ever been described as being "too polite to say" something. I must be getting genteel in my old age.

November 04, 2005 5:07 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

I attribute the resurgence in interst of Toll-Kin to marijuana. In the 60's and 70's everyone was stoned and someone figured out that it was "really trippy man" to get high and real LOTR. Later these people stopped getting high and got real jobs and almost became Supreme Court Judge (sorry Doug Ginsberg). They also made movies. Some of them remembered reading LOTR when they were high and decided that the stories would make good movies.

November 04, 2005 1:08 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

I read LOTR for the first time when I was about thirteen. Every subsequent rereading (throughout my adult years) has been a joy. I read "The Catcher in the Rye" when I was sixteen. My one subsequent rereading was a big disappointment.

J.D. Salinger. What a phony.

And I have never even inhaled!

November 04, 2005 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home