Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Thursday, January 19, 2006


Nihil sub sole novum

I remembered this post from Unlocked Wordhoard last night, when I picked up The Kite Runner -- a novel my husband had been urging me to read -- and glanced at the first three pages. I put the book down, looked over at my husband, and, after a preliminary "Ummmmmm," I proceeded to explain how the plot twists, or rather untwists, and how the story ends. I could tell by the look on his face that I had nailed it.

I'll read the book anyway, of course. As Richard Scott Nokes points out, a story that follows a well-trodden narrative path is as likely to be a very good story as it is to be a bad one. There aren't many really new stories in the world, but so what? The old ones -- many-hued, sinuous, shape-shifting -- have stood me in good stead all these years.

Who, for instance, among those who survived the first twenty minutes or so of Moulin Rouge!, didn't know how the story was going to end? I was undaunted by knowing the ending, because I was still curious about how the story was going to make me care about the ending. That's something that always happens -- if it happens at all -- along the way, and it is along the way that the really good stories, however old, become new again.

8 Comments:

Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Ha-rumph. Tell me you knew you'd see the Statue of Liberty at the end of Planet of the Apes.

January 19, 2006 4:37 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

This is great. KM gives away the Kite Runner and Moulon Rouge, adn then CIV gives away Planet Of The Apes. I guess I need to read books and watch movies when they first come out.

January 19, 2006 7:18 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

CIV, of *course* I didn't know I'd see the Statue of Liberty at the end of the Planet of the Apes, but then ... I was only a child when I first saw it. I'd like to think that, nowadays, I'd have guessed the general outline of the ending at least from the moment that doll said "Mama!" But that was a great ending, wasn't it? G-d them! They did it! They finally did it!

You'll notice I was careful not to give anything away, Stewdog. And are you yanking my chain, or have you really never seen Planet of the Apes?

January 19, 2006 8:16 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

I'm just monkeying around with you.

January 19, 2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

In that case ...

Get your stinking hands off me, you damned dirty ape!

January 19, 2006 9:35 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Excuse me ... that should read "paws," not "hands."

January 19, 2006 9:44 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Hey, I did guess the end of Soylent Green. It was near the end, but still I felt proud of my self. (OK, so I lived a sad little life as a teenager.)

January 20, 2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

I don't want to know how The Crying Game Ends.

January 20, 2006 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home