Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Tuesday, January 17, 2006


Overheard while watching Star Wars with a 4-year-old

* "Is there a Life Star?"

* "That water is. So. Gross."

* "That's not a walking carpet. That's Chewbacca!" [accompanied by uncontrollable giggling]

* "Why does Obi Wan disappear?"

* "Does Han care?"

* "He shouldn't be saying 'Yeaaahhhh!' He should be saying, like, 'Noooooooooo!'"

By the way, I hereby disclaim any responsibility for the "like, [quote]" construction. I may be a native Southern Californian, but I'm from the other valley. And while the girls are movie watchers -- they're usually allowed one a night -- they do not watch commercial television at our house. I suspect that the Disney Channel, which they get to watch when they are with their adoring and indulgent grandparents, is the culprit. I think Disney is also behind the "Yeah, girl!" which sometimes punctuates the triumph of winning a race or getting their way. At least neither of them has begun that peculiar uptalk which is the mark of the true Valley Girl and the annoying affectation of all Valley Girl wannabes. I'm being unfair to the wannabes, though, since the original mode of conversation was already an affectation.

Can you imagine Princess Leia as a Valley Girl? "Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi? You're, like, my only hope?"

1 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

And what, like, pray tell is WRONG with a Valley Girl? I, like, raised two of them, like you know and they are totally cool.

January 17, 2006 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home