Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Sunday, January 15, 2006


Morning Musings

Although the critics savaged them, I actually enjoyed Deuce Bigelow Male Gigolo and The Animal. These were two movies with Rob Schneider that had some funny scenes that brought me to tears. So I took a gander last night on the Deuce remake. Let me state unequivocally that this is the worst piece of trash I have ever seen. Hollywood has a way with remakes. They take a movie that had something going for it and then just beat that to death. I disagreed with the critics who liked Grizzly Man, but am in lock step with them on this.

Took a gander on an Aussie wine last night and am going back for a case tody. Rosemount Orange Vineyard Shiraz 2001. It's a 20 dollar wine you can get at Bevmo for 10 if you have one of their cards. A real treat, this, mate.

Read a blurb in the sports page that mentioned Laura Nyro. She died young of cancer, but was a prolific songwriter who has to go in the 'underrated' column. She was a good performer, but her strength was in songwriting. Some of the songs she wrote that you may know include Eli's Coming, Wedding Bell Blues, Flim Flam Man, Blowin' Away, Stoney End, And When I Die, Stoned Soul Picnic, and Save The Country.

That's it folks. Out for my workout and then time to chip away at Mr. 1040 while watching some football today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

I hereby dub thee official Rumpus wine critic.

Thanks for the tribute to Laura Nyro. I hadn't heard of her, but Wedding Bell Blues is one of those songs I always sing along with when I hear it on the radio.

January 15, 2006 7:25 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

I gladly accept that mantle, KM. I'm well prepared for the job. All my life, people have told me to "put a cork in it".
As to Laura Nyro, the fact you hadn't heard of her bolsters my assertion that she is an "underrated". She rivals Carol King as a songwriter, yet few today know her.

January 15, 2006 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home