Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, January 04, 2006


Ouch

Just watched in horror as USC folded in the last six minutes to allow Texas to beat them for the national championship. Ouch. It was pretty painful. The funny thing is, I have no real affiliation with USC. I didn't go to school there and, quite frankly, I don't have anyone close to me who did (well one or two went there but moved on to another institution). However, growing up in southern California, I rooted for them as a kid and have lived and died with them my whole life. The (not so) recent departure of my beloved Los Angeles Rams has made my bond with SC all the more passionate these days given that they're the only football team remaining in L.A. that my childhood took in its whimsical stride.

Like a child, I've cheered them when they've won in recent years. Like a child, I know nothing but sadness with this loss.

I haven't felt a sports sting like this in a long time. Oy the pain. However, I intend to pretend it didn't happen. I'll read no sports pages, listen to no sports talk radio, watch no ESPN for at least a week. This did not happen. I intend to make it so.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

Okay, I feel your pain, bro. I almost posted a taunting response to your cri de coeur, which consisted of the game's score in huge type, but I thought better of it. You'll note, however, that I was sorely tempted, given how you wallowed in the Notre Dame defeat.

Actually, I was totally for SC. But Topdog, our younger bro, and I predicted that if Texas got the ball back, their quarterback was going to win the game for them. That's why I agreed that they should have gone for it on 4th and 1, but Carroll called a lousy play.

January 04, 2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

Thanks for going easy, KM. I probably deserved it after my Notre Dame taunts.

I disagree that Carroll's 4th and 1 was a lousy play call. They hadn't stopped LenDale all night and I felt sure he could get a yard in that situation. The bottom line is, they made the plays they had to and SC choked it a little bit.

January 04, 2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Great Game
Bad call going for it at 4th at (wasn't it closer to 2?) in THAT field position with THAT quarterback.
Reggeie Bush' faux pas earlier in the game turned it around.
Too bad they allowed a TD that wasn't.
USC, you done been hooked.
Great Game.

January 05, 2006 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waaa!..WAAAAA!!!! Stop your crying you Trojan suck up...They lost. And they lost to a better team, no matter WHAT that idiot Matt Lienert says. Vince Young showed why HE should have won the Heismen last night ladies and gentlemen. ( Hey Nice game Reggie..) The decision to go on 4th and 2 was the absolute right one..and they had the absolute right player executing it. LenDale White was the only player who showed up for SC on offense last night...he just didn't make it. Don't blame Pete Carrol, Pat the Texas Defense on the back and accept it. They were beaten fair and square, and TEXAS is # 1 End of story.

January 05, 2006 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home