Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Thursday, February 23, 2006


Where is Jesus?

That's not a rhetorical question. As a lifelong Catholic, I can't believe that that question had never occurred to me until quite recently. The question kind of freaks me out, partly because I thought I'd come up with all the major questions about my faith a long time ago -- not that I've answered the questions, of course, but I've confronted, acknowledged, grappled with them in some way that's satisfactory to my sense of what's required by my belief.

Here's the question. For those who believe that Jesus is both man and God, that He ascended into heaven and lives today, where is He? Mustn't it be true that, wherever He is, He is there bodily? Maybe I'm, once again, only exposing my own ignorance of Catholic or Christian theology.

Does anyone out there know how theologians have dealt with this question?

It's so utterly strange for me to think that Jesus is just "hanging out" somewhere . . .

UPDATE: Found Him!

UPDATE II: Ah, now we're getting somewhere.

6 Comments:

Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

But the really significant question is ... where is the Holy Prepuce?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

February 23, 2006 11:26 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Now, that's *another* question I haven't considered, Jeffery. The rings of Saturn hypothesis works for me, though.

February 23, 2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Hey, if light can be both a wave and a particle and if it can be in two places at once until measured, than I've got no problem with Jesus being in heaven and on altars all over the earth and anyplace two or more gather in His name.

Nothing Jesus said is weirder or harder to believe than are quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, string theory, et al.

February 23, 2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Agreed, CIV. But what's weird to me is that I've never really thought about the fact that Jesus is present *physically* in heaven.

I'm certainly not rejecting the idea of transubstantiation. If I believe in the resurrection, I'm not going to balk at transubstantiation. :)

I do draw the line at the rings of Saturn, though.

February 23, 2006 3:31 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

KM, what were you doing during your years of Catholic school? Sheesh.

Don't look now, but Mary's hanging out somewhere too.

February 23, 2006 11:42 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

WD, Catholic education went to h**l when they discontinued the Baltimore catechism. CIV was in grammar school when they switched over and never understood (nor recovered from) the "warm and fuzzy" picture books that replaced the comforting book we had practically memorized. CIV doesn't blame KM for snoozing during feel-good, squishy lessons where kids express how they feel rather than learn the faith.

February 24, 2006 5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home