Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, November 29, 2006


The Tao of Kicking Ass

Man-about-the-blogosphere Jeffery Hodges links to this terrific piece by Mikel Jollett. Jeffery excerpts the following:

When I was 15, I was terrorized by a 12th-grade headbanger. A big, mean S.O.B. who ran with the skinheads, snorted coke before school, and walked the halls with a menacing scowl on his face and a 4-inch switchblade tucked in his vest .... Everyone at the school was afraid of him. I was afraid of him. I had no idea what to do about it.

So, I told my dad. Now, Dad and I were nothing alike .... He'd been an outlaw in his youth, running drugs to Mexico, writing fraudulent checks, and spending 3 years in prison....

Everyone in prison thought my dad was crazy. Whenever someone came too close, he'd go berserk, yelling with that incredibly powerful voice of his, intimidating whoever approached him, convincing them that he was a cannon ready to go off .... They left him alone....

Which is why he seemed like the right guy to talk to about the headbanger. I sat him down one morning and told him about the threats, the intimidations, the months spent with my stomach in knots. He listened intently and thought for a moment, furrowing his weathered brow as I did during geometry class. Then he looked up and said, simply, "Well, you're going to have to kick his ass."

Read the whole thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks for shout-out and link. The story is a really good one. I've read it several times since I found Gar's link to it several days ago and still haven't gotten tired of reading it.

I knew that I'd have to blog on it soon ... so, I finally did this morning.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

November 29, 2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Ten years ago or so, an elementary school bully would attack my kid from behind while standing in line by grabbing the arms and squeezing really hard. This was never noticed by playground monitors or teachers. When I suggested telling an adult, there was the usual reluctance (perhaps some fear of retaliation?) and the school's policy of not tattling. Suggesting slugging the kid brought shocked gasps from both the rugrat and CIV spouse and a reminder of the school's "no fighting" policy.

So, I suggested (when spouse wasn't around) a "safe" response and promised support if the principal called. When grabbed, turn around VERY suddenly with elbows out or arms extended with tight fists. Then say loudly, "Oh, sorry! When you grabbed my arms, I was so startled!"

I don't know how this was resolved. For some reason, I haven't been asked for any more advice on the topic.

I love stories where the bully eventually gets his butt kicked.

December 01, 2006 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home