Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Tuesday, January 30, 2007


Deaths In The News

You may have noticed that I tend to post Obituaries of note. I don't have a fixation on death, I just find obits to be of interest as reminders of the lives of those who have left us.

I read of the passing of Bing Divine this weekend. This former General Manager of the St. Louis Cardinals helped put together the great teams of the 60's. His fleecing of the Cubs. . Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio. . is the stuff of legends in Red Bird Nation.

I noted the passing of Father Robert Drinan. His was an interesting story. He was the first priest to serve in Congress, until the Pope put the Kibosh on it. Politically, there is little he would have in common with most rumpusers, but I have a soft spot in my heart for this Jesuit. I wrote him a letter when I was a young college student, setting forth my observations of our society and the disparity of weath (hey, I was 21 and it was the 70's. . so shoot me) and he responded with a 4 paragraph typewritten letter on formal Congressional stationery that I have kept to this date (I imagine the FBI has it in my file as well.)

Finally, while I do enjoy reading the Obits, the LA Times has no credibility in them. It seems that just about every week, they report that the "World's Oldest Person" has died. Yeah. . fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. How can you die after you are dead? Like I'm gonna fall for that one!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

That's a nice story about Father Drinan.

January 30, 2007 4:00 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

Not to diminish the humans, but you forgot to mention the euthanization of Derby winner Barbaro...

January 30, 2007 4:28 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Barbara now answers to either "Elmers" or "Bordons".

January 30, 2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

That was cold, Stewdog.

I was so sad to hear about Barbaro.

January 30, 2007 5:10 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Well, Rumpus, now you know what to buy Stewdog for his birthday.

January 30, 2007 6:34 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Make sure it is Super Glue. T.J. Simers in the Times ran an interesting piece on the over reaction to Barbaro and printed many of the letters he received in the the 1/31 Times Sports page 2.

January 31, 2007 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home