Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Sunday, July 15, 2007


To Kill A Mockingbird

No, not the great novel or movie, but a real life Wild Kingdom/National Geographic moment in my front yard. We are surrounded by Mockingbirds. I love them, even though they can drive me nuts when they start their talking/singing at 3 am in mating season. They are pretty, easily identified by the white on their wings, are full of attitude and swagger, and have a tremendous array of sounds.
Yesterday, I was in the garage and heard them making a racket that was out of the ordinary. I slowly walked out and spied a hawk in my jacaranda tree. I see them around from time to time, but it was a rare and delightful sighting. Well, the next thing I saw was him swooping up to the pepper tree where there were two nests that I had spotted that morning while doing some pruning. The hawk was immediately greeted with dive bombing and squawking, but it appears to have grabbed an egg or chick and made a quick escape, Mockingbirds frantically in pursuit.
My first instict when I realized what was going on was to come to "my mockingbirds' " assistance and shoosh off the hawk. But then again, I figured, the hawk is entitled to a meal, that's nature's way, and there will be more chicks popping out around here soon.
"To Kill A Mockingbird" is apparently a guide book in hawk libraries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home