Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Thursday, April 28, 2005


La Paglia speaks

Ann Althouse liveblogs Camille Paglia's appearance at a Madison Borders. Althouse uses a great Paglia quip as the title of her post: "Try to survive a tornado with a post-structuralist."

Invoking Paglia as my muse, I humbly offer the following:

Surviving a Tornado with a Post-Structuralist

"Il n'ya pas d'hors tornado,"
he said,
his fingers forming quotation marks
in sync with "tornado,"
his black clad back to the window,
his form refusing to brace itself
against the chaos
of defenestrating wind.
Retreating to the cellar
I wondered
on what far field his form would fall
and whether he would finally find himself
outside the text.

7 Comments:

Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Kate Marie, I am glad you are smart enough to head for the cellar.

April 28, 2005 5:20 AM  
Blogger Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

Merveilleux! Too bad it was written too late for inclusion in Camille's anthology.

I came here via Althouse, glad I did.

April 28, 2005 6:49 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Thanks, C.I.V.

And thank you, Richard. This is the only time I've ever been remotely inspired by post-structuralism.

April 28, 2005 8:50 AM  
Blogger David Schraub said...

I hereby award thee The Debate Link Award for Excellence in Poetry.

Considering I tend to despise poetry of all stripes and colors, pretty impressive. But this tickled me.

April 28, 2005 11:33 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Dear David,

I am truly honored. In accepting this award, I'd like to use the platform I've been given to say . . . Free Tibet! No blood for oil! Viva El Salvador! If it doesn't fit, you must acquit!

Thank you. Thank you.

Really, thanks very much for stopping by. I'm flattered by your award, and I like your blog very much (I mean, you obviously have great taste in poetry). We'll be adding you to our blog roll.

April 28, 2005 11:56 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

P.S. Just checked Richard Lawrence Cohen's blog, too -- that's another excellent blog to add to our blog roll. It's amazing what's out there in the blogosphere.

April 28, 2005 11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, what a lovely poem!

(Or...should I even acknowledge it, being a post structuralist and all>)

April 29, 2005 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home