Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, July 22, 2005


Does your blogging personality match your "real" personality?

That's a question I'm been thinking about lately, and I could write a very long post about it, if I had time for very long posts these days. Leaving aside the question of how real one's "real" personality is, how does the identity that we construct for ourselves in writing differ from the identity we construct for ourselves "in person"? I suppose there are as many answers to this question as there are bloggers in the blogosphere.

I tend to think that my entrenched self-consciousness is less inimical to the expression of opinions in my writing self than in my "real" self. Am I just deluded, or am I "nicer" in person -- more polite, more hesitant, more concerned about offending? [Yes, yes, feel free to crack wise, Wonderdog, Stewdog, Madman; I know I'm setting myself up here.] What's your experience, fellow bloggers?

3 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

Blof or real life?
I find you consistently insufferable.

July 22, 2005 3:09 PM  
Blogger Madman of Chu said...

Kate Marie,

Actually, I've had a team of MIT psychiatrists monitoring you for about 6 months now (reading your posts, tapping your phone lines- nothing fancy). They concluded that all of this blogging has actually made you even nicer in person than you were before...Your normal guilt-response doesn't seem to be in effect when you blog, but all the guilt carries over to your agoraspace personality, making you even more sensitive and self-effacing. The report is available at most public libraries, if you'd care to give it a once-over.

July 23, 2005 6:39 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

CIV has always done better on paper than in person and doesn't care for phones.

July 24, 2005 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home