Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Saturday, July 16, 2005


A query for movie buffs

I had a discussion with my youngest brother yesterday about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and he had a take on the ending of that movie with which I completely disagreed. For anyone out there who has seen the movie, what do you think is being implied about the relationship at the end of the movie? I'll provide my own answer in the comments, so as to avoid spoilers for the uninitiated.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

I think the implication at the end is that they're going to try again.

July 16, 2005 10:22 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Thank you, Daryl Ann. I agree that there's ambiguity to the ending, but I always thought of it more as ambiguity about the ultimate fate of their relationship. Maybe I'm also influenced by the idea that it was, for all its "quirkiness," a romantic comedy, and I require, or assume, that romantic comedies will have the conventional ending.

July 16, 2005 2:11 PM  
Blogger Madman of Chu said...

I was really shocked by the end, I though Leanardo DiCaprio's character was going to live. I think Kate Winslet's character was going to try to hook up with Bill Paxton's, though.

July 17, 2005 6:19 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

I am shocked that you let your youngest brother watch this movie. He's barely out of diapers and binkies.

July 17, 2005 7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the cleverness of the ending of the end was its ambiguity. The couple's memories and experience would remain part of them and they would either work things out or duke things out informed by that experience.

July 18, 2005 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home