Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, August 31, 2005


For no particular reason...

Here are my top five literary references to the sea -- just off the top of my head:

1) The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.

2) ... softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves.

3) But now I only hear its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar

4) ...Or like Stout Cortez, when with eagle eyes
He stared at the Pacific -- and all his men
Looked at each other with a wild surmise --
Silent, upon a peak in Darien

(for the Keats geeks, yes I know it was really Balboa)


5) I must go down to the sea again, the lonely sea and sky: and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by.

Other suggestions? Comments? Criticisms? Annoyances with this post?

4 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

I'm annoyed by everything you post. But how you can discuss the Sea without quoting from "The Owl And The Pussycat? An investigation is warranted.

August 31, 2005 7:34 AM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

Great one, DA. Doh! How'd I miss it?

September 01, 2005 11:32 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

How about "By The Sea" from Sweeney Todd?

September 01, 2005 3:15 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

". . . and falling softly, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead." Ahhh, one of the most beautiful stories in the English language.

And that was a great one, Daryl Ann.

September 01, 2005 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home