Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Monday, October 24, 2005


Found objects

I don't often frequent The Valve, but I found this gem of Nabokov's in the comments to a post about satire . . . and . . . the . . . consequences . . . of . . . fetishizing . . . cruelty . . . in . . . Dickens ... zzzzzzzzz . . . Huh? Wh-what? Oh, sorry, where was I? Oh, right, here's the Nabokov quote (was I drooling?) :

Paris Review: "E.M. Forster speaks of his major characters sometimes taking over and dictating the course of his novels. Has this ever been a problem for you, or are you in complete command?"

Vladimir Nabokov: "My knowledge of Mr. Forster’s works is limited to one novel which I dislike; and anyway it was not he who fathered that trite little whimsy about characters getting out of hand; it is as old as the quills, although of course one sympathizes with his people if they try to wriggle out of that trip to India or whereever he takes them. My characters are galley slaves. "

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

The Valve sure is a snooze, isn't it? And, so help me, its name makes me think only of poor Ignatius J. Reilly and his own stubborn, ever-closing valve...

October 24, 2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

"And, so help me, its name makes me think only of poor Ignatius J. Reilly and his own stubborn, ever-closing valve..."

-- Jeff, that's perfect! And, believe me, it's the only laugh The Valve has ever afforded me. My infrequent visits to The Valve will definitely benefit from the image you've suggested ...

October 24, 2005 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home