Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Monday, November 21, 2005


Dulce et Decorum Est ...

... to skewer Kurt Vonnegut:

I never “got into” Vonnegut, or “dug” his work like my “buds,” several of whom pronounced his work as “intense,” so I am not particularly bothered to find he applauds suicide bombers, and thinks they experience “an amazing high.” In the literal sense, perhaps; it’s possible that skull fragments may reach the third floor before they carom off a balcony and patter back to earth.

I should note that Mr. Vonnegut’s comments, reported in the Australian, were made while touring to promote a collection of anti-Bush essays, and as such all attempts to refute them is intended to suppress his freedom of speech. It goes without saying he will be spending his senior years naked in a cell, fighting rats for a scrap of bread, writing brave quatrains on the wall with a shoelace-tip dipped in rat’s blood, awakened daily at 4 AM with bright lights and the national anthem. Such is life in Chimpsuit McHallihitler’s America. But I press on; this dissent isn’t going to suppress itself.

And so it goes. Read the whole thing.

[I never got into Vonnegut, either. Slaughterhouse Ho Hum.]

1 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

Kurt has gone the . . uh. . Leonard Tose route. . He's lost it.
I enjoyed reading his books as an idealistic young man. I haven't picked up anything in years. But I suspect that, like the Herman Hesse books I so cherished, I would probably just say "What was I thinking" as I do over so many movies or records that I loved as a younger man that when confronted with them now, I can clearly see the gap between me then and me now (Hey 19, we can't dance together).

November 22, 2005 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home