Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, December 09, 2005


Oh, Mandy

Okay, so there's Mandy Patinkin on the tv doing an ad for some cholesterol-lowering drug called Crestor and the question arises: Is Mandy Patinkin a spokesperson for this product or has his career tanked so badly that he's simply acting this part and it's the only gig he can get? I mean, it's not like the guy is even remotely a household name and it's not like he's even remotely recognizable to the general public. A scant few might recognize him as this. Even less as this. And even less as this. So what gives? And don't give me the argument that he played a doctor on tv which lends credence to him selling a drug. That'd be like getting Henry Winkler to sell Harleys. I just don't buy it.

I've seen this before. I can recall a few other ads just like this that have walked the thin line between spokesperson and reject actor. My mind cannot completely visualize the other actors or ads but I can't seem to quell an image of Brian Dennehy once pumping some product which resulted in a sleepless night for myself pondering this very same question.

I know that our own KM has some sick, twisted thing for Patinkin so she's gonna argue for spokesperson here. I, on the other hand, am opting for the reject angle. I mean, this ain't Lindsay Wagner with Ford, this ain't David Spade with Capital One, this ain't Brooke Shields with Calvin Klein, this ain't James Earl Jones with Verizon. This is Mandy friggin Pa-who? with Crestor-wha?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

My name is Kate Marie. You dissed Patinkin. Prepare to die.

December 09, 2005 10:32 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

So you are saying that the Battleship Patinkin has been sunk? He's gone worse than the Leonard Tose route. . . he's gone the Joe Piscopo route.

December 09, 2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Joe who?

December 09, 2005 10:40 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Joe Piscopo. Former SNL cast member whose career didn't quite take off after that. He was later best known for hawking bodybuilding supplements.
http://www.joepiscopo.com/

December 09, 2005 10:45 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

I was just yanking your chain, Stewdog. :)

By the way, Wonderdog, Patinkin is obviously a spokesperson. And you're so wrong about him. His role as Inigo Montoya alone guarantees him some small measure of immortality, though my heart belongs to him as Che and Georges Seurat.

December 09, 2005 10:54 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Joe Piscopo: living proof that I'm not proud of everything to come out of New Jersey.

December 09, 2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

"Spokesperson?" You-a keep on-a using that word. I do notta think it means whatta you think it means.

Put a fork in Patinkin.

As for Piscopo, he's a bug-eyed, unfunny, buffed out freak with kinky hair.

December 09, 2005 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home