Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, December 21, 2005


Speaking of "It's a Wonderful Life" ...

Is there any sequence in American movies more beautiful than the long sequence beginning with George Bailey's discovery of Zuzu's petals and the big wet kiss he plants on Bert the cop, through George's sprint through downtown Bedford Falls, and ending with his bursting through the door of the drafty old house and into the embrace of his family and his community?

It all begins with the moment that I consider the heart of the film. George Bailey, head bowed, standing alone in the night and bent over the railings of a solitary bridge, softly illuminated snowflakes falling around him and alighting on his hair and face, cries, "I want to live again! I want to live again!"

9 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

Yes, when Bill Murray realizes that he isn't dead and has a second chance in Scrooged.

December 21, 2005 4:13 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Bah humbug, Scroogedog.

Every man who goes about with "Bill Murray" on his lips should be boiled in his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.

December 21, 2005 5:40 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Wait till Timdog hears about that comment. Missy, you have sealed your death warrant.

December 21, 2005 5:51 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

I guess I need to see this movie, eventually.

December 22, 2005 4:07 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Frankly, my favorite part of the movie is the alternative world that would have occured in the absence of George Baily. Especially the scene in the bar and when the floozy gets arrested.
Oh, and 'He Haw'!

December 22, 2005 5:46 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

CIV, if you mean "It's a Wonderful Life" and not "Scrooged," yes, you do have to see it. I hope I haven't ruined the ending, though.

Stewdog, if you and Timdog wanna bring it, I'm ready to rumble.

December 22, 2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

I prefer the tv movie starring Marlo Thomas as the gender-bending Mary Bailey who marries George Hatch. eesh.

December 22, 2005 11:06 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

How could you call to my mind that abomination, Wonderdog?

December 22, 2005 11:15 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Now I have to wash out my mind with soap.

December 22, 2005 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home