Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Tuesday, December 20, 2005


Things I've realized while chauffering the kids, doing Christmas shopping, and listening to the all-Christmas-music-all-the-time-radio-station

* Karen Carpenter had a beautiful voice. I spent years sitting in the back seat of my mother's Pontiac station wagon with my four brothers and sisters, listening to my mother's eight track tapes, singing along with the Carpenters, and I spent a few years denying that I had ever done such a thing, and I never in all those years quite realized how lovely her voice was.

* The Stevie Nicks recording of Silent Night must be a foretaste of the soundtrack in the ninth ring of hell.

* Nobody, but nobody, can sing White Christmas like Ba Ba Bing, and nobody, but nobody, can sing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas like Judy Garland. So could the rest of you give it up already? And, yes, that means you, too, Sweet Baby James.

* Nothing cures the kids' looong-car-ride-blues like a rousing rendition of Jingle Bell Rock.

* Your many vows to yourself, pre-children, that you'd never use the Santa threat fall like chewing gum wrappers by the interstate wayside once you've endured three minutes of a four year old's whine. Santa is back; he's bad, and he's got the naughty and nice list poised for revision.

* No matter how many times a child asks you if tonight is finally Christmas Eve, it never loses its cuteness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wonderdog said...

KM, you weren't in the waaaay back like I was. The speakers were better back there which afforded the brothers the ability to appreciate her deep resonance and dulcet tonal quality.

As for Stevie Nicks, I've never heard it. Thanks Clarence (wink).

Beg to differ on "Merry Little Christmas". Gimme Bobby Goulet's version any day.

Can't wait to use the Santa squeeze. Maybe next year the two year old will be able to appreciate the jolly old elf's more sinister side.

December 21, 2005 12:13 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

I personally like Stevie Nicks' version of that song, even though I could generally do without her.
And I like Chrissy Hynde's (of the Pretenders) version of Merry Little Christmas on the same "Very Special Christmas" red album. Agree with you on the Bing. I pull that CD out every Christmas for sure.
As for the Santa Threat, "How Dare You"?

December 21, 2005 5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home