Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, March 31, 2006


Just because

This passage from Dickens' David Copperfield has always been a favorite of mine and, within the context of the novel, remains for me one of the most tender and moving things I've ever read. Today was my mother's birthday and I suppose that's why it conjured itself in my mind. I post it just because. Well, maybe because tonight I have felt that pang for a lost innocence and being a boy once again in my mother's arms.

It touches me nearly now, although I tell it lightly, to recollect how eager I was to leave my happy home; to think how little I suspected what I did leave for ever. I am glad to recollect that when the carrier's cart was at the gate, and my mother stood there kissing me, a grateful fondness for her and for the old place I had never turned my back upon before, made me cry. I am glad to know that my mother cried too, and that I felt her heart beat against mine. I am glad to recollect that when the carrier began to move, my mother ran out at the gate, and called to him to stop, that she might kiss me once more. I am glad to dwell upon the earnestness and love with which she lifted up her face to mine, and did so.

4 Comments:

Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

I'm afraid that's how it will be when the rug rat goes off to college in 3.5 years. Sniff.

March 31, 2006 6:11 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

WD. You have a mother? I thought you were raised like Romulus and Remus!

March 31, 2006 7:51 AM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

CIV, maybe you'll get lucky and the rug rat will flunk out of high school and have to stay home and mooch off you.

SD, I'll pass this one on to my mother, whom you know well, and let her know how you really feel about the job she did raising me! By the way, how did your daughters grow up to be such sweet, wonderful, beautiful girls? All the credit goes to your lovely wife.

March 31, 2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

My daughters put up a very good front. They fooled you, pal. Glad you got to see them both together, as was I, at the recent birthday fest.
As for your mother. . we'll. . I'm already on her hit list and this will put me over the line. I'm sure she is fitting me for cement shoes as I type.

March 31, 2006 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home