Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Thursday, May 18, 2006


Band Aid vs. USA for Africa

I believe KM posted on this subject once before but here's my crack at it.

I recall, as a young lad, thinking that the British "Band Aid" version of Feed the World was far superior to "USA for Africa's" We are the World. In my mind, not only was the music superior but so were the British artists themselves. The British artists were cool and hip while the Americans were so...lame and so very uncool. For reasons far too complicated for me to discuss, I recently revisited these songs and the artists who performed them. Let's see if my young impressions still hold true today. Here is a list of the notable artists who performed each song:

Band Aid "Feed the World":

Phil Collins, Bob Geldof, Simon LeBon and John Taylor (Duran Duran), Paul Young, Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet), Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17), Bono, George Michael, Midge Ure (Ultravox), Sting, and the inimitable Boy George

USA For Africa "We are the World":

Harry Belafonte, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Daryl Hall & John Oates, James Ingram, Michael Jackson, Al Jarreau, Waylon Jennings, Billy Joel, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis, Kenny Loggins, Willie Nelson, Steve Perry,Kenny Rogers, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, and Stevie Wonder

Uh...yep, I was right.

13 Comments:

Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Wonder Dog, I am beginning to suspect you may be ... French!

Europeans are "cool and hip" and Americans are "lame and so very uncool"?

Why, that could have come from the mouth of John "French" Kerry!

Aside from Phil Collins, I don't think I've heard any of the "Band Aid" performers, while I've heard many of the good ol' boys and girls from the US of A.

May 18, 2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Hey WD, I think Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, between the two of them, could kick the a**es of the entire Band Aid roster -- with cool to spare. And come on, Ray Charles -- *even now* -- could take on at least 3 quarters of them.

But maybe you were engaging in one of your frequent moments of very dry humor?

May 18, 2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

KM and CIV, yes, I was engaging in some sardonic (perhaps feebly attempted) wit.

Of course the American artists are far better and (some of them) even legendary.

Rest assured, I believe that Ray Charles is a superior talent to Boy George.

Is my sarcasm missing the mark?

May 18, 2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Geez, WD. Couldn't you at least put one of those winking smiley faces on your sarcastic posts? Give me a heart attack, why don't you?

May 18, 2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

Duly noted, CIV. From now on I will not assume that all others are in lock step with my strange world.

I simply thought that listing the names of the respective artists, in itself, would make the young lad Wonderdog look the fool.

May 18, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

I don't think it missed the mark, WD. I figured it was sarcasm. Just makin' sure, is all.

May 18, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Well, when you list a bunch of "artists" that old fuddy duddies have never heard of, you can't expect your sarcasm to shine through.

I'm a little surprised, though, that you haven't said a word about being accused of possibly being French. Them's fighting words.

May 18, 2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

CIV, you've never heard of Tony Hadley?!! I'm speechless . . .

May 18, 2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Have I heard of Tony Hadley? Um, no. And Google didn't help. What the heck is Spandau Ballet? I've never seen that advertised at the Kennedy Center. Clearly it's not in the same league as the Washingon Ballet.

May 18, 2006 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderdog....you left out Rich Hebert, who sang on the American version also...If Tony Hadley is going to get a mention...I'm going to throw him into the frey too! LOL.

May 18, 2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

French? Take zat! (I slap zee face wis zee glove!)

KM, I was a bit worried that if I let the post stand as it was, that it might be misconstrued. But I liked it that way.

Temp, Hebert? Any guy who uses your couch for a week and drinks all your beer probably belongs on the "Band Aid" team. Hence, no mention as I didn't want to bring the American team down.

May 18, 2006 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you compare the likes of Michael Jackson, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan to Tony Hadley, Phil Collins and Bono?

USA piss all over us. :)

NorthernBrit.

December 23, 2011 6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both lineups had several fantastically talented artists. Great cause, too. Sadly, the need is just as great today as it was then. Maybe more of the same is in order.

up4fishin
USA

January 16, 2012 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home