Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, May 17, 2006


Da Vinci shminci

I never read The Da Vinci Ca-Ca and really doubt that I'll ever see the film (unless I happen upon it one late night on cable and I've already washed my pet racoon). I'm also not one who really cares enough to support the protests taking place with regard to this film. If Hollywood wants to make a movie bashing Christianity, go ahead. It's their prerogative and a time-honored one for that matter. I'm sure I would need more than two hands to count the number of times I've seen a priest or bishop portrayed on screen with wringing hands and sinister motives.

Hollywood? Bash away, baby. That's America. You can make the movie and I don't have to see it. So we're even.

That said, I must also say that I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad to see that the early reviews of the film are pretty dismal.

heh heh.

I should note, however, that these reviews are coming from Cannes, which awarded its top prize to Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 two years ago. Therefore, it's entirely possible that if Cannes doesn't like it, I just might.

Now I've confused myself a little, which isn't hard to do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should give the book and or movie a chance Wonderdog..Remember...it is FICTION...and just because some people don't have the imagination to accept this, shouldn't make you pass judgement without reading or watching it yourself. I thought the book was an excellent read...the movie?..who cares...with Ron Howard directing, I'm sure it will be well done, but that doesn't mean it's going to be everyone's cup of tea.

May 17, 2006 9:15 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

When it comes to films, I take the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" approach. Everytime Hollywood creates a product that rubs the religious right the wrong way (i.e. about every other month) the talking heads get going and there is a protest, which gives free publicity to the film. I remember the huge gathering to protest Passion Of The Christ at Universal City. All they did was put butts in the seats to see what the hub bub was all about.

May 17, 2006 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home