Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Tuesday, May 23, 2006


John v. Paul

Dirtbiker for W, who thinks that The Beatles are an overrated garage band should skip this one.

But, for the rest of us Rumsters there has been a lively debate about who was better, John Lennon or Paul McCarthy. Stewdog leans heavily toward John. Paul was the better musician and his uptempo sweetness was a good foil to John's hard driving rocker. But after they split, John actually continued to make some good music, and Paul just went straight to mush.

Now, let's really examine an album, I pick Rubber Soul, which I listened to on the way to work this morning. It still sounds great. It is 41 years old. So, let's see, the youngest Stewpup is 18, so that Album to her would be an album to the 18 years old Stewdog that was made in 1930. Amazing.

But I digress. All songs were "Lenon/McCarthy", but if you really listen, you can figure out who was the primary composer/writer on each. Let's throw out George's Think For Yourself and If I needed Someone, which were good songs, but not part of this debate. Also, Ringo's inconguous What Goes On will not be considered. The list and the grade please:

Drive My Car Paul B
Norweigen Wood John A
You Won't See Me Paul C
Nowhere Man John A
The Word John B
Michelle Paul A
Girl John B
I'm Looking Through You Paul B
In My Life John A
Wait Paul C
Run For Your Life John B

GPA John 4.5 Paul 3.8
I rest my case.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wonderdog said...

The Paul vs. John debate is always a matter of taste. It's ballads vs. rock. As a band, I think the Beatles ballads were better than their rock. Hence, I like Paul better.

May 24, 2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

In My Life and Norweigen Wood are excellent ballads that have John's stamp.
Michelle and Yesterday are outstanding Paul ballads for sure, but if you want to play 'battle of the ballads', I think John is right in there with Paul. John simply put more substance in his songs. Paul had more fluff. Regardless of which side you take, it is clear that they brilliantly fed off and complimented on another

May 24, 2006 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home