Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, June 28, 2006


Summer tales









My younger brother and I set off from the trail-head in Wawona which meandered five miles to the Mariposa Grove. We had arranged for our mom and dad to pick us up at the grove and drive us back to the cabin upon completion of our trek.

Wawona is an area of Yosemite National Park where my family used to stay virtually every summer from my adolescence to young adulthood. It's a beautiful, small, mountainous, peaceful escape from the spectacular yet often overcrowded Yosemite valley. Mariposa Grove is a patch of forest in the Sierra Nevada range which holds the great sequoia trees; some of the largest and oldest living things on earth.

Midway through our hike, which had been beautiful yet somewhat uneventful until that point, a scattering sound broke the silence of the forest and halted us in our tracks. Scampering up a tree some twenty yards to our right was a young bear cub. I can still hear our hiking boots fall silent as we met eyes with that little critter clinging to the bark and sizing us up in ears-back fashion.

I've always been fascinated with bears. They're part of my predator pantheon of animals which I love and fear -- bears, sharks, the big cats, crocs, and perhaps even the occasional cape buffalo (though not a predator).

One thing I had always read was that, with regard to bears, the worst possible scenario for one in the woods was to encounter a cub. Cubs meant big, protective momma.

After my initial wonderment and amusement with the little cub, my mind immediately turned to big, protective momma. Where was she?

Throw rocks. Make noise. I had always read this too.

I threw rocks and made noise, as did my brother. And herein lies the rub. To this day I am heckled for a boisterous laugh I concocted during that moment to effect the "noise." It was unnatural, loud and reverberated through the deep forest like a barking dog in a church. I've never lived it down and it has almost become family lore.

We never saw big, protective momma and I'm convinced that my boisterous laugh is the reason why.

Somewhere, in the dense woods, a dominant, confident guffaw went forth. Large, savage and carnivorous beasts fled from that subduing sound.

This was the summer that I was king of the forest (though some might argue that I was the joker).

11 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

LOL! You need to do some sort of audio link to the laugh.

This is first in a series, I hope?

June 28, 2006 1:28 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

So you. . . were king. . .of the forrrrreeeeesssssst!

June 28, 2006 6:49 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

A tale right out of Meeting A Bear by David Wagoner.

June 28, 2006 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having had the honor of working with a 1700 lb. 10.5 ft tall Kodiac Grizzly at VERY close range...I can identify with your story here....and can't wait to hear the laugh somtime!..

June 28, 2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

Though I wasn't there and didn't hear the tale until years later, I can't stop laughing now hearing the story yet once again. Too funny.

June 28, 2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

TP, you have to tell the story about the scene where they wanted you to roar at the bear.

June 28, 2006 12:23 PM  
Blogger T Patrick Dunigan said...

LOL...well since you have now invited me to write on the blog..perhaps I'll relay that story someday. It was a pretty interesting time that's for sure!

June 28, 2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

That would be great, and if you talk to our techie Scotty, can post a picture of Bart to go with the story.

June 28, 2006 2:01 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Cripes, W'dog...was it a grizzly cub?

(I've run into snakes while hiking, but so far I haven't encountered a bear, and I hope I never do.)

June 28, 2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Jeff,

I don't think there are any grizzlies in Yosemite. It must have been a black bear or a brown bear. But I'm sure WD would like you to *think* it was a grizzly cub!

I've seen bears (pretty darn close) in Yosemite, but only from the safety of inside the cabin or from a raised porch. WD will have to include a tale about how our dad --in defiance of all park rules about dealing with wild life -- used to make "bear malts" (the essential ingredient of which was bacon grease from breakfast) and set them out near a big tree outside the cabin. All sorts of ursine hijinks ensued.

June 28, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

Jeff, don't listen to KM. It was a grizzly cub, no doubt.

We were a breath away from the grizzly monster. Cabins? Ha! We were in the wild woods! There was a grizzly about and I had the presence of mind to thwart the ominous threat!

June 29, 2006 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home