Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, November 08, 2006


What would Frodo do?

Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

[So I'm being melodramatic. Indulge me. ]

6 Comments:

Blogger Madman of Chu said...

"As the hobbits are going up Mount Doom, the Eye of Mordor is being drawn somewhere else. It's being drawn to Iraq and it's not being drawn to the U.S."

~Rick Santorum

November 08, 2006 3:35 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Huh?

I love Santorum, but I wasn't referring to Iraq.

November 08, 2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger Madman of Chu said...

Dear Kate Marie,

I figured that you and Frodo were referring to the midterm election, and it just seemed hypocritical of Fro to be wingeing about the election when if he and Samwise had put a little boogie into it and thrown the freaking ring into the lava already the troops would be home and Rick might have kept his Senate seat.

November 08, 2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Well, I was kinda referring to the election, but it was more that the previous quotation (about things worth fighting for) reminded me of this one from the movie -- so it was more of a "don't despair" quotation.

You're right, though, if Frodo and Sam had hauled a** a little more, Santorum might have kept his seat and New Jersey might have decided not to elect a crook.

In any event . . . you and I now have a rendevous with destiny and November 2008, my friend. I seem to recall that I scrupulously avoided mentioning the election of 2004 to you, once it was over, because I felt your pain [picture me biting my lower lip]. Next November, I will feel your pain . . . and revel in it.

November 08, 2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Make that next November but one.

November 08, 2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger Madman of Chu said...

Dear KM,

You are a better woman than I, Gunga Din. That should have been obvious long ago. I keep trying to develop a guilt impulse but whenever I feel a stirring of what seems like guilt it turns out to have been some bad shellfish.

November 09, 2006 5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home