Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, January 31, 2007


Catholicism meets the therapeutic culture

My husband, Catholic-in-training, was told during one of his recent theological rap sessions that there are no wrong answers -- that when it comes to the Gospel, every interpretation is valid. We amused ourselves last night by thinking up statements Sadeeq could make to test just how far this "diversity of interpretations" doctrine would stretch.

Here's a sample:

"I think Mary knew Jesus was going to perform a miracle during the wedding at Cana because she was used to Him performing little miracles around the house as a boy -- like building pod racers and protocol droids."

"For me personally, Judas is the true hero of the Gospel."

"What I think the Gospel is telling me is 'Choose Barabbas.'"

"I think Christ is a great example of the Nietzschean Superman and the will to power."

"Don't you just hate Peter?"

"In my opinion, 'love thy neighbor as thyself' is really more of a suggestion than a commandment."

"I think Jesus shows us that there really is no such thing as sin."

"Jesus's teachings can be summed up as 'live and let live.'"

If anyone has other suggestions, feel free to chime in. We're planning to have Sadeeq try them out over the next few Sunday sessions.

5 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

No suggestions, but you reminded me of a joke. Moses comes down from Mount Sinai with his arms laden with multiple tablets. The people ask what they are and he explains that he has been given the 437 Commandments by God. They beseech him to return to renegotiate. Six hours later he comes back down with the now familiar double tablet. He says "I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that I got him down to 10. The bad news is that Adultery is still on the list."

January 31, 2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Just what parish are you in? St. Cindy Sheehan's? Yeesh.

Let me suggest an excellent resource.

Some years ago, I mailed in a coupon from Parade magazine in response to a Knights of Columbus advertisement. They offered a free series (10) of booklets explaining the Catholic faith and promised not to ever both you -- no mail, no soliciting, no phone calls, nada.

(This was pre-internet, so it was all done by US mail.)

Though I've been Catholic since infancy and attended Catholic school (1st-6th), I felt there was a lot I didn't know about the faith and wanted to learn more (without having to ask at church).

The lessons were succinct and informative and I highly recommend them.

They kept their word and never contacted me again.

Check out KOC's Catholic Information Service and look for: Faith Formation Course by mail.

January 31, 2007 2:43 PM  
Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I think that when Christ said, "I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart," he means that we should go ahead and have a good time by physically consummating the adultery that we already have in our hearts because we're just as guilty anyway.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

January 31, 2007 2:50 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Stewdog, good one.

CIV, thanks so much for the suggestion. I think Sadeeq would really like that.

Jeffery, I'm definitely putting that on the list. Thanks!

January 31, 2007 5:57 PM  
Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Let me know how well my hermeneutic goes over with the Therapeuts.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

February 01, 2007 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home