Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, February 13, 2008


McCain Hops On Board the "Obama is a Demagogue Express"

John McCain has obviously gotten and is ready to run the script exemplified by the essays and websites Kate Marie linked to, below. Rhetorically he will cast Obama as a demagogue who offers only "platitudes" but lacks fundamental substance. This is not surprising, it is smart politics. I hope that he will keep his rhetorical assaults within certain bounds (avoid race baiting and the like), but a lot is at stake and I am prepared to be disappointed. Little can diminish the respect I have for him personally. Though I hope fervently that he is defeated in the general election (against whichever Democrat is running), I honor his commitment to and sacrifice for our country. There is furthermore no denying that his magazine is packing some heavy rhetorical ammo. I can't help but be moved by hearing someone held as a prisoner of war for five years speak of humility and "being saved by our country," I can only imagine what its effect will be among those who do not share my assessment of his policy positions. It's going to be a tough campaign...

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

Against whichever Democrat is running? Have you checked out Clinton-supporter Ed Rendell's most recent comments? You sure that's a crowd you want to hang out with?

February 13, 2008 2:54 PM  
Blogger Madman of Chu said...

I don't know what Ed Rendell said, and in any case supporting the Dems isn't the equivalent of assuming responsibility for every thing all fellow travelers say. If in the course of the campaign there are Dems that stoop to really low tactics (like those used by Rove and company in the Republican primaries of 2000) I will repudiate them in the strongest terms, and I'm sure I won't be alone. I don't doubt that the Dems will cook up rhetorical narratives that distort McCain's record or positions, and I don't plan to jump on that bandwagon. It won't prevent me from giving the Democratic candidate my money, my time, and my vote, though.

February 13, 2008 3:15 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

You go, Madman.

February 13, 2008 3:33 PM  
Blogger Madman of Chu said...

Such withering sarcasm, how will I recover? I guess I and my post will have to sit here in the position to which we've been bumped and nurse our hurt feelings.

February 13, 2008 5:16 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Now, now, Madman. Can't we get along?

Yes we can!

February 13, 2008 9:43 PM  
Blogger Madman of Chu said...

Evidently not. Go ahead, KM, have the last word on this thread. Make the next one really nasty.

February 14, 2008 5:55 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Madman, I urge you not to remain mired in the tired, old politics of division.

Let us go forth together in unity, to heal this blog, and to repair the blogosphere.

February 14, 2008 6:34 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Um. . can you two get a room. . or perhaps a better choice would be a boxing ring.

February 14, 2008 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home