Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, October 17, 2008


California's Proposition 8

Apparently, the California referendum to ban same-sex marriages in the state is likely to be approved by California voters. According to Wikipedia, if the measure passes, "it will add a new constitutional amendment to the California Constitution that will have the following text: 'Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.'"

A question for my Rumpus "lawyer acquaintances" out there: Will voter approval of this proposition make it harder for the California state legislature to approve same-sex marriage in the future? If so, will the go-through-the-courts strategy of same-sex marriage supporters become a victim of unintended consequences?

1 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

My read on that is that since 8 is a Constitutional Amendment, the Legislature would be powerless to enact a law allowing same sex marriage and the Courts could not override the Constitution. If passed, it would take another constitutional amendment to change it.
I may be wrong. It happened once.
I frankly am voting against it. I resent how the courts foisted it upon us, but frankly it is so far down my list on issues that resonate with me. I think that defense, the economy, the US Supreme court, etc, are far more important. How does it matter to me if my Florest Maurice goes home to his roomate Bruce, or his spouse Bruce? Nada!

October 17, 2008 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home