Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, December 31, 2004


Stew's Reviews

With some down time from work this week, the Stewdog has ventured into Blockbuster on a few occasions to catch up on some of the movies that I have never gone to see (since I get into a movie theater about 1 to 2 times a year, by choice). I share my thoughts on the following films to praise, to trash, and to start a dialogue.

Osama: This won best foreign film at the Academy awards. It has nothing to do with Bin Laden. It is Afghanistan's first film since we threw out the fascist Taliban. Not a great movie, but an important one and I liked it. Plot is driven by girl who cuts hair to pass as a boy.

School of Rock: Funny, but trite. Great soundtrack. First half way too slow. Jack Black is very good in it. A good waste of a night if you are bored and want a few laughs.

The Bourne Supremacy: A fine follow up to the Bourne Identity, which I also liked. Fast paced and engrossing, but confusing to me, who has trouble following the plot of a soccer game.
Matt Damon is very good. Too bad he got all the talent and his pal Ben Afflicted got NONE.

Dodgeball: A True Undergod Story: Like School of Rock, you saw the best parts in the comming attractions. I didn't really like this movie much at all. Very slow beginning and predictable. One to dodge.

DeLovely: The critics were split on this film, and some savaged it, but I loved it. It is a brutally honest biography of Cole Porter, told in a gimmicky way (think All That Jazz) but it worked for me. My wife and I disagree on a lot of things (OK, EVERYTHING) but we both loved this film. Kevin Kline is flat out brilliant in this and Asley Judd is perfect. I recommend it highly, but I anticipate that 1/2 of you will wonder what I was thinking about when you see it. As a musical retrospective of his great songs. . it is worth it for that alone. It is quite frank about his homosexual side, but thankfully not graphic. One of the most enjoyable times I have had watching a film.

A Day Without A Mexican: This one stirred up controversy with its billboards. I had hoped to see a biting satire providing good food for thought about the immigrant contribution to society and the economy and to be enlightened. I wasn't. It was the most amateur, ham handed, didactic, preachy and boorish fim that has been made. A day without this movie is what you need to have. Horrible. . a group of 16 year old high school kids could not have done worse.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy: I love Will Ferell. I had hoped Elf would be better than it was and this one is even more of a letdown. Like Dodgeball and School of Rock, the entire first half of the movie drags. . No pacing. A lot of boring cliches. What was the point?
About the only thing to recommend it is the 70's clothes, decor and music (Can't remember the last time I heard that great 70's song "Sunshine" by Jonathan Edwards). Stay anchored to something other than this film.

King Arthur: Like the critics, my bride and I split on this one. I thought it was just a horrible waste and a stupid, gross, reinvention of the King Arthur legend that was, as one critic aptly put it, a Braveheart wanna be. We watched the "director's cut", which means that it took the battle scenes from Braveheart and made them 3 times as long and bloody. Go rent the Disney Cartoon Sword and the Stone before you subject youself to this tukey.

OK, that's my week. I still have Collateral., Luther, Under The Tuscan Sun and Peter Pan to get through.

A great web site to check out collected reviews of movies is rottentomatoes.com
I like to go there AFTER I see a film to see how other's perceived it.

Happy 2005 to all my fellow bloggers and our loyal readers
Stewdog


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog. i enjoyed reading about website I have a blog here website

October 15, 2005 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for a place where I can learn more about forex, forex trading, global forex trading and improve my online profit. I will be keeping an eye on your blog as I liked it a lot. Another site I found with global forex trading resources is global forex trading

October 24, 2005 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stewdog 6:45 PM, Very informative. Great to see such that fresh sites are still out there. If you know anything about fancy dress for little girl or fancy dress for little girl feel free to send a post onto my blog. Thanks again

October 24, 2005 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home