Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, January 28, 2005


blogs from underground

I just finished watching a Game Show Network re-run of "Match Game". You remember Match Game don't you? That game show featuring the likes of Richard (pre-Family Feud post Hogan's Heroes) Dawson, Brett (did she ever do anything else?) Somers and Charles (yes I'm gay but no one will say it in 1978) Nelson Reilly.

I must say I find the show to be an absolute treat. It's pure schlock and a great antidote to today's too often sobering world. I only wish that the show were running today as it'd be a sure way for me to make a quick buck. For, as anyone who's ever watched the show knows, the not so secret to winning is simply to fill in the blank with the word "boobs" no matter what the question. Here's how it goes:

Gene Rayburn: "Have you heard about Silly Sally? Yesterday, she accidentally drank a whole bottle of fabric softener. Now she has the softest blank in town."

What say you Mr. 70's man with your mustache and unduly extended hair? "Tongue."

Doh! What?? Boobs, you moron!!!

Let's watch Gene now as he moseys over to the guy who played Bosley on Charlie's Angels. His answer? "Boobs." Crowd goes wild. Brett? "Boobs." Charles? "Boobies". Bowser from Sha Na Na? "Boobs." Richard? "El Boobos". Fanny Flag? "Pillows." 5 out of 6 ain't bad.

I grit my teeth and point at the schmuck in his leisure suit as he whacks his forehead in good-natured chagrin -- "I told you! Boobs, you idiot!"

And somewhere in the flickering darkness...I find the pure bliss of unabashed buffoonishness.

3 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

Early Hollywood Squares was also wonderful.

January 28, 2005 7:52 AM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

Paul Lynde was a comic genius. That man did for the snicker what Michelangelo did for ceilings.

January 28, 2005 5:25 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

He was at his best as Dr. Dudley in the Munsters:
"Oh, I see you brought your doggie!"

January 29, 2005 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home