Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Monday, March 27, 2006


Who draws the crowd and plays so loud, baby, it's the "damn it" man ...

Saturday night, I drove home with my husband and daughters from a party at Stewdog's. We stopped at Del Taco on the way home to get Sadeeq a "Macho" iced tea. When I made a turn, the iced tea toppled out of its cupholder and spilled all over the floor of the car (too macho to be reined in by a wimpy cupholder, I suppose). Sadeeq let slip a"Damn it!" This little Laurel and Hardy routine ensued:

7 year old: "Daddy, you're not supposed to say 'Damn it!'"

4 year old: "That's right Daddy! You don't say 'Damn it!'"

7 year old: "We're not supposed to say 'Damn it!'"

4 year old: "No Daddy, we don't say 'Damn it!' You shouldn't say 'Damn it'"

7 year old: "Dad, you should apologize for saying 'Damn it!' [to her sister] Do you say 'Damn it!'?"

4 year old: "No, I don't say 'Damn it!' [to her sister] Do you say 'Damn it!'?"

7 year old:"No I don't say 'Damn it!' Dad, you should apologize. Say: 'I'm sorry for saying 'Damn it!' We should call you Damn-it man!"

Both girls, in unison: "Damn-it-man! Damn-it-man! Damn-it-man!"

In an effort to dam the "Damn it!" deluge, Sadeeq apologized, though his laughter -- and his attempts to hide his laughter -- made it hard to get the apology out .

The girls seemed satisfied. Daddy had given them a proper apology and a semi-socially-sanctioned opportunity to say "damn it" a whole lot of times. All was right with the world.

11 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

That's a damned good story. Reminds me of one from many years ago. We were being plagued by stray cats in our yard and I ran out the back door yelling "You F***ing Cats get out of here". I didn't realized that child #1, then all of 3, was in earshot. She walked up to me and innocently asked "Daddy, what did the f***ing cats do"?

March 27, 2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

That's hilarious.

March 27, 2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Dammit, SD, why do you send your party guests home thirsty???

March 27, 2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Hey, I had hand sqeezed lemonade that I could have made in a go cup if I would only have known.

March 27, 2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Hey CIV, watch your language!

You're supposed to say, "Dammit, SD, why do you send your party guests home so f***ing thirsty???"

Now, go home and practice!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

March 27, 2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Hee hee. This is great.

A couple I know has raised their kids--now 10, 8, 6, and 4--not to use certain over-used or crass-sounding words...so the one time I accidentally said the word "stupid" in their presence a couple of years ago, four tiny little people gasped and stared at me as if I'd just done the worst thing in the world...

March 27, 2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Much as I love to jump on the bandwagon whenever there's an opportunity to pick on Stewdog, I must say it was a he..., um . . . I mean, a heckuva party and a da... um, darn great feast.

Jeff, that story cracks me up. We had a friend of my daughter's over once, and my daughter said something like "I hate hamburgers," and the friend admonished my daughter, and told her she's not supposed to say "hate." I felt I had to chime in, since I say "I hate ..." all the time. I told the friend that my daughter was allowed to say she hates bad things and really evil people. The example I used was "I hate Darth Vader."

March 27, 2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

SD, for the record, my two year old and eight month old said they had a mother f***ing great time.

March 27, 2006 11:06 PM  
Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

It's just like that Powerpuff Girls episode where the Professor lets out a bad word without knowing that Bubbles is in the room.

Later, she uses it when one of her crayons breaks. Her two sisters -- Buttercup and Blossom -- overhear and ask what the word means. They figure out that it's an adjective and begin using it all the time, especially as they fight the Pottymouth Monster (who's got a head shaped like a toilet).

Everybody overhears them and the Pottymouth Monster using bad words.

When the professor drives up, all of Townsville's citizens give him a cold stare ... as he mumbles unconvincingly "We just got cable" ... implying that the girls learned the word that way.

The funniest thing is that viewers never get to hear the word because every time the Powerpuff Girls use it, some other noise drowns it out.

As for the Pottymouth Monster, he just uses nonsense syllables that sound like they should be obscene: "Frappin', rappin' motobeggar..."

And ... uh, now that I think about it, there's little similarity between this episode and the anecdotes posted here.

Never mind...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

March 28, 2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Nice to know it ain't all Milton, all the time, in the Hodges household. :)

March 28, 2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've been considering whether or not "Him" -- the red Satanic figure in the Powerpuff Girls stories -- is derived from Milton's Satan. In a purely postmodern, deconstructive, profoundly ironic and campy way, of course...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

March 29, 2006 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home