Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Monday, June 12, 2006


Morning Musings

So sad to hear that the Dixie Chicks are having trouble selling out areas for their shows and getting their music played on C & W stations. But that is freedom of speech. If you choose to trash the president on foreign soil and then make the cornerstone of your album the theme that you "aren't ready to play nice", you will learn a lesson that if you give, you better be prepared to take.

Saw that there was a convention of liberal bloggers of the Daily Kos and Moveon.org sort in Vegas and the ususal suspects from the Democratic party came to pay homage. Great news. This crowd thinks Washington Dems are as bad as Republicans. Their professed aim is to move the Democratic party further to the left. Where do I sign in?

I want to know who thought it was a good idea to plant a Jacaranda tree in my front yard by the driveway. This is my Halloween and it continues to haunt daily.

Stewdog witnessed an accident on Saturday. While leaving the grocery store, the car in front pulled out into the street to make a foolish left, didn't see the motorcycle coming, and caused the bike rider to T bone the car, landing on the hood. Seems that he will be ok, but the image still haunts and drives home the lesson that life is short and we all need to slow down and stay focused while driving.

Wanted to watch the Sopranos last night but the wrong Tonys were on.

Wondering aloud. . . I went on 2 bike rides yesterday. If I had stayed home on the couch, would I have emitted less CO2? When Al Gore's "Tipping Point" comes in 10 years, you can blame me. And speaking of which, is Ted Kennedy's 'Tipping Point' 3 scotches?

10 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

I would *love* to have a Jacaranda tree in my front yard. Whiner.

June 12, 2006 8:23 AM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

I have never seen a jacaranda, but it looks attractive. What's wrong with it?

Here's a tip for you: don't replace it with a female ginko tree.

June 12, 2006 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend the Stewdog, is not in any way Un- appreciative of the beauty of the Jacaranda tree in his frong yard...it is the clean up that he finds fault with...they are a mess!!

June 12, 2006 11:33 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Mr. Peck hit the nail on the head. These are some of the prettiest trees on the planet. I love this time of year when I see them flowering. . . IN ANY PLACE OTHER THAN MY HOUSE. The problem isn't the tree. It is the placement. I have a horseshoe driveway with two gates. The tree is right in the middle. If you don't promptly clean the flowers off of the car, it will ruin your paint. If you don't sweep the driveway, and right now I mean 3 times a day, it will stain it for months. If it was in the middle of my yard. . I would not utter a discouraging word.

June 12, 2006 12:40 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

SD, there's such an easy solution to this problem. Father's Day is Sunday; you are a dad; you need a chainsaw.

You can always plant other trees & shrubs to keep your neighbors from lynching you. Just be sure to tell them how heartbroken you were to learn that the jacaranda was diseased and beyond all hope, but that at least you are comforted that it is out of its misery and in a better place.

June 12, 2006 1:04 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Okay, I understand Stewdog. You were complaining about yard work. I tend to think of yard work as one of God's little ways of getting me to tell Sadeeq what a big strong man he is. :)

June 12, 2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

You're right that such a course of action could be dangerous in Stewdog's neighborhood, CIV. All those neighbors with "I'm pro-choice and I vote" bumper stickers on their Volvos will be gathering pitchforks and lighting torches if he dares to terminate his jacaranda tree.

June 12, 2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

The tree is safe. I couldn't see taking the beautiful thing down. I just sweep and bitch and moan.

June 12, 2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Stewdog, I would have said, "just suck it up, dog" but not when you wrote, "If you don't promptly clean the flowers off of the car, it will ruin your paint." It's not worth ruining a car.

But wait, why are you parked outside? Don't you own a garage? You should park in there, and it should look like this.

June 12, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

KM, when we bought this house, it had 5 huge old trees out front. The builder had left them there, torn down a small house, and built a bigger house. We had nothing to do with any decisions, as it was a spec house and nearly complete when we purchased it. One day a jogger slows down and THANKS me for keeping the trees. Yeesh.

Turns out the trees were in very bad shape and eventually all but one either had to be removed or, in one case, fell down (quite spectacularly, in an ice storm). We were quick to replace each tree and, as the change occurred over time, we were not harassed by the Tree Association. (Yes, those kinds of people even live here in Virginia. Sigh.)

SD, can you move the tree?

June 12, 2006 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home