Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Friday, July 21, 2006


"Betcha on land, they understand . . . Bet they don't reprimand their daughters . . ."

The four year old decided to make a thank you card for her auntie, who sent the girls a funny e-mail with dancing kittens.

Mermaids are a common theme of her artistic productions. Today she asked me if mermaids were really swimming under the sea. Her face was so bright with hope and expectation that I hadn't the heart to give her an outright "no." I told her I've never seen one, but nobody knows for sure.

Maybe I'll regret that reply someday, but I don't think so. Despite my inevitable disillusionment, I've never regretted my own childhood capacity for illusion.

Does she really believe in mermaids? Maybe. She believes in believing, and in my experience, people rarely regret having learned to do that.

6 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

It's a strange world. We develop trust with our children by lying to them about Mermaids, Easter Bunnies, Santa Claus, and the progressive tax structure. Then they get older and don't trust us and we wonder why.

July 21, 2006 3:51 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

Ah, common on, Stewdog. You're telling my Santa Claus is the reason your kids don't trust you?!?

My three year old son has been fascinated by the sounds things make...ever since he was the tinest wee one. Well he's been watching "The Cat from Outer Space" the past few days and asked me, "Mommy, do spaceships make a loud noise?" I thought for a moment, trying to decide whether I should continue with the fantasy or try to go the straight and narrow route. I said, "Well, honey, spaceships are sort of pretend..." He has a basic understanding of pretend, but I guess it doesn't extend to things you see on TV...

He replyed "But...do they make a loud noise?"

Uhhhh "Yes, sweetie. I think they make a loud noise."

(Of course, at that moment our Space Shuttle didn't cross my mind, but I have since corrected my omisson and included it as a spaceship.)

July 21, 2006 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahem....and WHERE did "auntie" get that email?....yeah..sure...that's okay....who wants the credit for making the kids happy?..sure...who cares about that... (sob)....

July 22, 2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Ahhhh, Templeton, I didn't mean to leave you out, but I figure you get enough props from the girls.

Since you're going to cry about it, however, I proclaim to all the blogosphere that you are indeed the one who originally sent the dancing kittens e-mail.

July 22, 2006 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey?....I take what I can get at this stage of my life..I thank thee.

July 22, 2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Templeton is sending cutsely kittie emails? What is next, TP? Solo Kite Flying? Cowsills revival concerts? Patridge Family Dress Up Concerts?

July 22, 2006 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home