Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Sunday, December 03, 2006


JT

As in James Taylor. I grew up listening to James and always liked his music. . .still do. So I gave this PBS show a look this week and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a tribute to the artist as "Man of the Year" and various artists covered his songs. Although the performers were well represented from the "Shut Up And Sing" crowd (Dixie Chicks, Jackson Browne, Sting, Bonnie Raitt, and Bruce Springsteen) not a single shot at George Bush was made the entire night. . indeed not a political note was sung. Maybe they have really learned to do what Laura Ingraham suggested in the title of her book, later stolen by the Chicks).
But I digress. . . the show was about the music and so shall be this post. Two of his songs were covered by others in which the covering artist may well have eclipsed the original. . . Carol King's You Got A Friend, and Bonnie Raitt's Rainy Day Man, both of whom performed. The Chicks did a really nice version of Shower the People and Sting did justice to Close your Eyes. I had never seen Keith Urban perform, but was impressed with his rendition of Walking Down A Country Road (and that boy can play the guitar like a rock star). But for me the highlight of the evening was Allison Krauss' rendition of Carolina In My Mind. I first heard of her in the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack and think she is terrific. She has a voice like no other that was clear, beautiful, and haunting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

I can do without most of the others (I'd prefer to hear JT sing his own songs), but I really would have liked to hear Alison Krauss sing Carolina in My Mind.

What does it mean that my parents, you, me, and all my siblings are James Taylor fans?

December 03, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

It simply means that we have good taste. If you needed to select certain songs or musicians to define "American Music" he would have to be included. He was a great songwriter, supported by that clear and unique baritone.

December 04, 2006 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home