Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, February 13, 2008


From McCain's victory speech last night . . . (BUMPED)

Hope, my friends, is a powerful thing. I can attest to that better than many, for I have seen men’s hopes tested in hard and cruel ways that few will ever experience. And I stood astonished at the resilience of their hope in the darkest of hours because it did not reside in an exaggerated belief in their individual strength, but in the support of their comrades, and their faith in their country.

My hope for our country resides in my faith in the American character, the character which proudly defends the right to think and do for ourselves, but perceives self-interest in accord with a kinship of ideals, which, when called upon, Americans will defend with their very lives.

To encourage a country with only rhetoric rather than sound and proven ideas that trust in the strength and courage of free people is not a promise of hope. It is a platitude.

When I was a young man, I thought glory was the highest ambition, and that all glory was self-glory. My parents tried to teach me otherwise, as did the Naval Academy. But I didn’t understand the lesson until later in life, when I confronted challenges I never expected to face.

In that confrontation I discovered that I was dependent on others to a greater extent than I had ever realized, but that neither they nor the cause we served made any claims on my identity. On the contrary, I discovered that nothing is more liberating in life than to fight for a cause that encompasses you, but is not defined by your existence alone. And that has made all the difference, my friends, all the difference in the world.

I do not seek the presidency on the presumption that I am blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save my country in its hour of need. I seek the presidency with the humility of a man who cannot forget that my country saved me. I am running to serve America, and to champion the ideas I believe will help us do what every American generation has managed to do: to make in our time, and from our challenges, a stronger country and a better world.

3 Comments:

Blogger stewdog said...

You'll never find a "perfect" candidate. McCain is a good man and far more qualified to protect me than the 2 on the left side of the aisle. All I hear from them is "Health care, health care, health care", as I feel myself slipping into debt. I've have yet to here Hosana utter one positive word about the military or defense or terrorism in his many speeches.

February 13, 2008 1:34 PM  
Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Stewdog! Quick! St. Cindy is in Egypt protesting FOR the Muslim Brotherhood. This hot story needs your expert opinion and fast!

February 13, 2008 6:14 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Well, my "expert opinion" is that it is just so sad. The woman strikes me as someone who was on the verge of a nervous breakdown who has just gone over the edge when her son died. I consider it an American Tragedy.
But her actions have since become a travesty. She's lucky that they arrested that horrible doctor in Baghdad who was feeding mentally ill women to terrorists to commit suicide bombings. She's about one passport stamp from being there.

February 13, 2008 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home