Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, May 31, 2006


Underrated

OK, it is hot. It is summer. So it is time to chill. . . a little less cerebral, a little more visceral.
We've done worst song. How about most underrated group/album/song? Something you really liked in your youth, that still stands the test of time.
My nomination is Ten Years After's album A Space In Time. Still sounds great to me. Alvin Lee was the most underrated guitarist of the early 70's. And their song, I'd Love To Change The World, has just a touch of the Taxman feel to it. I cranked up Once There Was A Time tonight and it still sounds great. A little religion and rock and roll?

Once there was a time I’d rob my mama
For a good meal and a smoke
Once there was a time I’d sell my brother
For a dollar when I was broke

But I’d never sell my guitar
And my strings were always sharp
’cause if I don’t have a guitar
I’ll be strumming on some angels harp

And if I don’t get to heaven
And I go down there below
Better be a guitar when I get there
Or, I will refuse to go

Once there was a time I was hungry
And I’d find my food in some bin
But I’d never, never sell my guitar’
cause that would, darling, that would be a sin.

And, for Kate Marie, their live at Fillmore Album has a song called The Hobbit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Good question! One such album for me is Time by ELO. It's the best sci-fi time-travel disco concept album of 1981--or of any year. It's indefensibly corny, but it's also darn sincere, and I keep returning to it long after I've abandoned so many other former favorites.

I've also never gotten tired of Minstrel in the Gallery from Jethro Tull, a nice album that's (mostly) about walking around and observing the small details of street life in late-1970s London.

Man, I could probably list a dozen more albums, but I'd only further reveal my famously bad taste in music...

May 31, 2006 9:41 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

SD, if you want my opinion of an underrated artist, please see the picture on my post just above this one.

June 01, 2006 12:53 AM  
Blogger stewdog said...

WD, Stuart Anderson isn't underrated or overrated. . in fact, he's just not rated.
Jeff. . I have always liked ELO's sound. Jeff Lynde is an outstanding musician. . I like what he did with George Harrison's 80's solo album. Also big Tull Fan. Templeton Peck and I listened to Aqualung on the way down to see the Cards-Padres this weekend. Martin Barre is a way underrated lead guitarist.

June 01, 2006 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home