Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Wednesday, June 13, 2007


Al Gore and the Greenlandic word for summit

Apparently, Al Gore has some "Live Earth" event planned this summer in which he is organizing to have a band play on every continent. This story lets us know that he has found a band to play on Antarctica.

A few comments...

With the exception of Antarctica, isn't there pretty much a band playing on every continent in the world every single day? And if so, wasn't this really about Al Gore finding some guys to strum some guitars down there in the freezing cold?

Apparently this "band" is a group of scientists and what I find strange in the linked story is that the band's name is only listed as the "Greenlandic word for summit." It took me all of 30 seconds to look up the word which is "Nunataka". Why not just list that as the band's name? Why not? Why the heck not? Why go to the trouble of typing out the words "Greenlandic word for summit"? I'm tired myself just from typing it.

My theory? I truly believe the earth-friendly writer felt the last three syllables "ataka" sounded too close to "attack" and therefore had too much of a violent sounding connotation to allow it to grace his article.

Then again, maybe I fuddled up this whole thing and the band's name really is "Greenlandic word for summit."

This may just keep me up tonight.

At any rate, Al, you take care of Antarctica and I'll make sure there's a band playing on every other continent in the world...There, I just did it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home