Today is


   "A word to the wise ain't necessary --  
          it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
					-Bill Cosby

Thursday, June 21, 2007


Like-O-Meter

My new cause is to eradice the use of the term "like" when used in conversation other than to show affection for a person or thing, similarity, resemblance, characteristic, use in a simile, or other myriad appropriate uses of the word. This burning in my soul has been triggered by the return of my 19 year old daughter from college. Her 24 year old sister has gotten better, but I suppose I am to blame for raising them in the "Valley".
"So, like, I went to the, like, store and there was like this guy behind the counter, who like had too many tatts and it was like gross."
Walk down the street where there is a crowd and listen to conversations of young people. They can't get through a sentence without using it instead of a pause. I guess it beats "um" or "duh", but not in my book.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate Marie said...

It's not just a Valley thing, Stewdog. My own Cashew has adopted that formulation, too. But she seems to use it more when she's actually *in* school and among friends. It hasn't crossed over to her family life, or not so much -- yet, anyway.

Another good argument against school, I suppose.

Here's another one I wince at: "He was all 'What's going on?' and I was all, 'Nothing much,' and he was all, 'That's sad,' and I was all, 'Totally.'"

June 21, 2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

Agreed.
So this is what it has come to. .Stewdog, the grammar nag. . at the mere age of 53.

June 21, 2007 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was, like, reading your blog and I thought, "Like, these guys are all so totally up on current events and, um, it would be cool to let them know it."

You guys rock. Like, um, that dude Colstone needs to get a clue.

(That made my head hurt, so I will not add more.)

May I add that I am annoyed when I am out with female friends, or even other couples, and we are all referred to as "guys"? What is the proper way, if any, to correct that?

My apologies for being talkative today. I'm in need of stress relief for a few minutes.

June 21, 2007 3:01 PM  
Blogger Kate Marie said...

Talk away, Lisa. It's a treat to converse with you.

I must admit that I'm guilty of the "you guys" formulation. I like "you all" and even "youse" better than "you guys." Alas, both "you all" and "youse" sound ridiculous and inauthentic in my flat Western inflection.

June 21, 2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger stewdog said...

"You guys", while not proper grammer when used toward the female of the species, is meant as a friendly, informal approach to a group of people, whether men or women. A much better approach for men is to simply refer to a group of women as "stunning creatures" or "goddesses". It usually has a preferred effect.

June 21, 2007 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A much better approach for men is to simply refer to a group of women as "stunning creatures" or "goddesses". It usually has a preferred effect.

Be still my beating heart. Chivalry isn't dead.

Thank you, Mr. Stewdog, for renewing my faith in MANkind.

June 21, 2007 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And thank you, Ms. Kate Marie, for being willing to talk to a complete stranger.

Some days, the kindness of someone you have never met can turn around the whole day. :)

June 21, 2007 4:06 PM  
Blogger Wonderdog said...

Stewy, you're like so uncool.

June 22, 2007 12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home